Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Jul 04, 2008, 19:41
Re: Obama to expand faith based programs
Jul 04, 2008, 19:36
PMM wrote:
I wasn't kidding entirely! But I was inaccurate.

I meant the state dictating to the polulace rather than a powerful individual grabbing all the power in the conventional dictatorial sense.

Not good news for libertarians, left or right, but we will not self moderate. Therefore the state has to put restrictions in place to force us to reduce our consumption.

You bring up one huge bloody flotilla of debates with that post.. most of which eventually lead back around to the same conclusion: Tyranny by a tyrant or a committee of tyrants pretty much all end up looking like tyranny.

I think perhaps an enlightened leadership might find success more in the model of an encouraging, supporting, and gently sculpting force.. a persuasive force that enforces change thru mechanisms like tax breaks for progressive solutions and heavy tax burdens on regressive ones. This is already being used to erode the popularity of cigarettes- the kind of moderating force you mention, but not a prohibitionist one.

In the same way, peak oil really is the change agent that will bring about cleaner energy, and so (even as I grumble at the gas pump) it's a welcome thing, in the long run. But we HAVE to get on the ball and do something about it, not pretend we can drill our way out of an eventual collapse.

We ought to be rewarding greatly those corporations that are bringing positives to the planet and leaning hard on those that refuse to rise to the challenges of creating a world that's sustainable.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index