Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2007, 00:17
Incredible and terrible
Nov 27, 2007, 00:08
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/26/wsudan226.xml

I hope to hell the poor woman gets out of this ok.

The very fact the little kids chose that name, with the perfect innocence of childhood in mind and are now probably as 'guilty' as she is just breaks my heart.

EDIT: In their minds, they were probably showing an 'affection' for Islam in doing this; hoping their parents would be pleased etc.

Religion rules once more.

x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: Incredible and terrible
Nov 27, 2007, 02:00
Honestly, I can't imagine why any westerner would choose to live under such brutally medieval, insane laws. The fundamentalist Islamic world is out of its collective gourd, EVEN MORE THAN THE XTIAN CRAZIES, and I find THEM repulsively ignorant and full of shit.

I hope this poor victim of batshit fundamentalists escapes their evil intolerance and can get the fuck out of there.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 08:58
handofdave wrote:

Honestly, I can't imagine why any westerner would choose to live under such brutally medieval, insane laws.

Many go to these countries genuinely hoping they can do good.
I doubt she would've had the sweetner of an outrageous paypacket or anything, she's just an ordinary schoolteacher taking her skills to help children whose opportunities would've been highly limited.

Mind you I do remember a few Western charity workers were murdered in Iraq, despite having lived there for decades (one woman was Married to an Iraqi!) but it never fails to completely shock.

She's in one of their jails right now with a baying crowd awaiting her next move. Oh dear. The British govt can't simply let this one play itself out.

x
mercian
mercian
302 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 09:39
http://www.religiouswatch.com/nw1107.htm#Bear_Faced_Nastiness
The picture brings it home of the thuggishness of it all. I hope she`ll be released soon.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 10:59
I reckon those kids knew what they were doing!
Wiggy
1696 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 11:00
And once again, I instantly regret posting!!!
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 11:55
I don't think most of the kidnappings and murders of westerners in Iraq had much to do with religion- more like plain old thuggery in the service of criminal greed, despite whatever Islamic rhetoric the abductors used.

Even in cases where westerners were simply murdered without any demands being broadcast, I don't think the jihad rationale was all that coherent. There simply is a great deal of anger in Iraq and elsewhere in the Islamic world, fueled by poverty, repressive societies, etc. and exploited and amplified by the radical mullahs.

In other words, the perpetrators are typically young guys with no prospects who are scooped up and used by devious men- tools of religious intolerance who aren't particularly savvy themselves, or bearing thought-out agendas.

The recruiting of these footsoldiers is based on the harnessing of their lowest urges... supplying a twisted brotherhood that channels their feelings of impotence into outwardly directed violence.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7718 posts

Edited Nov 27, 2007, 14:42
Nov 27, 2007, 12:00
handofdave wrote:
Honestly, I can't imagine why any westerner would choose to live under such brutally medieval, insane laws.

Money.

EDIT: I was going to say that I think I was a little unfair. Sudan is not a rich country (although there may be education programmes where funding allows for good slaries) and it's entriely possible that this woman went there for altruistic purposes.

However, the woman worked at the Unity High School It's a British school where she taught the children of Sudanese professionals, expatriates and oil workers.

Money may well have been the driving force, particularly after a separation.

All of which is to do with why she might have gone there is the first place and no comment at all on yet another example of religious barbarity.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 12:12
Vybik Jon wrote:
handofdave wrote:

Money.

Yeah. Though I'm sure there are some idealists out there too, like Shanshee says.

Still, you'd have to be a little bit nuts to brave the possibility of being murdered or beaten (either by radicals or the state itself). Makes me think of the people who went into the American south to help blacks register to vote back in the sixties... they were facing real danger in a very hostile environment.

My hat's off tho. Isolationism is obviously not an option if the Islamic world is going to be cured of its fear of change. Not that we in the west are necessarily the ultimate arbiters of that 'correction'... that's got to be a homegrown movement on their part.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 27, 2007, 12:19
Wiggy wrote:

I reckon those kids knew what they were doing!

Yeah, rebels without a hope in hell...
Anyway, she as a teacher had the ultimate veto, she should've known what she was doing I suppose, but it does not make it anything other than a bit sick to me.
Yes I know you're joking!
What I find strange is the amount of Islamic men called 'Mohammed' if it's considered so 'untouchable'.
The Latin American countries aside, there's a sense that Jesus is almost never used as a name in Western Xtian tradition because of that.
Dunno, I'm ignorant to all religions, 'cept I just wish: Time Out.

x
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index