Incredible and terrible

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Re: Incredible and terrible
Nov 30, 2007, 16:37
No one's asked the bear what he thinks about all this.

Might change me name to "Allah" for a laugh.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 17:07
So now that the moderates have spoken out, what excuse do the right-wing monkeys have this time?
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 17:12
Infact, where's your mate 'flat orange ted' these days?
I bet it's him...
;-)

x
FOMouse
FOMouse
228 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 17:16
Hmmm. Maybe, he's always doing stuff for a prophet.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 17:18
Ha!

x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Edited Nov 30, 2007, 17:31
Nov 30, 2007, 17:18
Moon Cat wrote:
It's insane. My question is regarding this issue, and I posit the same thing to fundeMENTALists of every creed when this kind of thing happens, is - if your faith is so fuckin' absolute and unshakeable, then why do you get flustered and go beserk at the slightest provocation. Seem's to me that if it takes so small a thing to rattle you then perhaps your faith ain't all its cracked up to be.

Ab-so-freakin'-lutely!

Thank you for adding that, for it's one of the things I've thought over the years as well.

The mullahs don't talk about it, and most 'polite' westerners don't talk about it, but it's very evident that the stricter branches of Islam in the 20th-21st century have a massive insecurity complex. The glory days of ancient Islam, with it's scientific and artistic superiority over the west, were eclipsed a long time ago with the rise of the enlightenment in Europe.

Feeling threatened and marginalized, the Islam of the 'street', with it's howling anger and thousand-year-old blood feud mentality, is incapable of reflecting on its shortcomings and addressing them. So instead, it turns outward, seeing insults and enemies everywhere.

Of course, the cynical exploitation, manipulation, and greed of some of us here in the west only exasperate the situation. I do pin a lot of the blame on the powermongers who have seized the middle east's resources as their own. But of course, at the end of the day, one must be responsible for one's own actions.

This bloody, angry, radical variety of Islam could be thought of as the bullied, self-hating kid that comes to school one day with a gun, seeking to destroy his tormentors (even the perceived ones, in his emotionally unbalanced mind) and himself in a blaze of twisted glory.
Gnomon
Gnomon
1121 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 21:23
The sad thing about this was she was reported by someone who worked at the school. You'd think that a quiet word along the lines of, 'Hmm, that may not be a good idea' might have been a better option...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 22:19
Gnomon wrote:
The sad thing about this was she was reported by someone who worked at the school. You'd think that a quiet word along the lines of, 'Hmm, that may not be a good idea' might have been a better option...

Yup.
The secretary at the school that fingered the teacher as an 'infidel' obviously had some sort of axe to grind and saw her opportunity.

This kind of crap can happen anywhere where there's individuals who use social taboos as leverage when they're determined to give their 'foes' a hard time. People who accuse their spouses of child abuse in divorce situations, for example, generally can create a great deal of trouble, even if the accused ex is completely innocent, because EVERYONE is against child abuse. So it puts the accused in the difficult position of having to prove that they aren't guilty, and even if acquitted, sometimes the stigma of having BEEN accused lingers.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: F-ing intolerant religious maniacs
Dec 01, 2007, 12:27
evangelicals. They've been the duplicitous voting block that aided the beginning of the end for my country... giving Bush the edge in both of the last two elections.

Now THERE's an interesting observation. If you believe in a Book, whichever Book it is, people can manipulate you for their own ends by interpreting the book for you.

Moral: don't believe in a book. or at least, if you insist on believing that any part of a Book can offer an an immutable law, let it just be the line that says Love Thy Neighbour...
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: F-ing intolerant religious maniacs
Dec 01, 2007, 14:48
nigelswift wrote:
If you believe in a Book, whichever Book it is, people can manipulate you for their own ends by interpreting the book for you.

Moral: don't believe in a book. or at least, if you insist on believing that any part of a Book can offer an an immutable law, let it just be the line that says Love Thy Neighbour...

The hardcore religious right will tell you that the Bible is perfect, the immutable word of God... and that the New Testament trumps the Old Testament. Most of all, they tend to focus on the book of Revelations.

They're very impressed with all the sturm & drang stuff, not all that interested in the compassion part. A very hypocritical bunch.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index