Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Edited Nov 30, 2007, 06:36
Re: what exactly is the deal?
Nov 30, 2007, 06:22
handofdave wrote:
Mohammed was a popular name in the region long before it was connected with Islam......

Yup, your bang on Dave, it was certainly a popular name (long before Islam) in the middle east

Jews and Arabs are from the same Semitic 'root race'

Teddy Bears, sadly, are not

:-(
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Re: F-ing intolerant religious maniacs
Nov 30, 2007, 06:33
handofdave wrote:

I have to admit that at times, it's really difficult not to feel a bit anti-Muslim when you hear about this kind of totally irrational and insane shit. Yes, I remind myself that most of the Islamic world is not this evil. But where are the moderates? Is it really too much to ask that they step in and do something about reigning in their foaming, bloodthirsty brethren?

They never seem to do they ?

For example, there should be more 'say' in the west, from the muslim elders, who could really do a lot to enlighten non-muslim folks about 'real' Islam

When you get the likes of 'Hamza the Hook' in the U.K. (before they chucked him out), spouting racist and religous hatred, you just can't believe he got away so lightly!

Let's face it, he's just as narrow-minded as a seig-heiling bonehead!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 07:03
"Don't mistake me as being sympathetic to either"

Cor blimey I never thought that of you guv.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 13:32
nigelswift wrote:
"Don't mistake me as being sympathetic to either"

Cor blimey I never thought that of you guv.

'sokay... sorry if I overreacted... I get a little riled about the subject of fundamentalists and evangelicals. They've been the duplicitous voting block that aided the beginning of the end for my country... giving Bush the edge in both of the last two elections.

Ironically, many of them found out, too late, that the GOP made them a lot of hollow promises in return for their loyalty- and used that political dominance to then screw them in favor of the wealthy Mammon worshippers....
Jim Tones
Jim Tones
5142 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 13:47
handofdave wrote:

'sokay... sorry if I overreacted... I get a little riled about the subject of fundamentalists and evangelicals.

Don't apologise h.o.d.

Those fuckers never do !!
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 15:30
Now this is happening

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/11/30/wsudan230.xml

If you don't laugh you'll cry as they say, and with that sentiment in mind, it all just reminds me of this...

http://www.garnersclassics.com/qbrian.htm

Ladies! Get yer false beards here!

**The poor woman will be a wreck when she gets back**

x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Incredible and terrible
Nov 30, 2007, 16:01
I can hardly even bring myself to comment on this story I feel so disgusted and angry at it.

Official: "You have been found guilty by the elders of the town of uttering the name of our Lord, and so, as a blasphemer, you are to be stoned to death."

Blasphemer: "Look. I'd had a lovely supper, and all I said to my wife was 'That piece of halibut was good enough for Jehovah.'
(From Monty Python's 'Life of Brian')

Blasphemy is not even a 'real' crime, ffs!!!! It's like being imprisoned for not believing in Father Christmas.

The sooner the governments are run on secular grounds the better. Vive la France.
J
x
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 16:06
handofdave wrote:
But where are the moderates?

Good question, sir! Read Sam Harris 'The End of Faith' to see how dangerous 'moderates' and religious tolerance actually is and where it's got us to. Right here. It stinks.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Nov 30, 2007, 16:09
handofdave wrote:

How unbelievably tragic is that attitude? There's no room for childhood in Islam, but apparently there's an infinite amount of room for Jihad, AK-47s and suicide bombing.

I'm proud to be an infidel if that is Islam. It's very obvious to anyone who stands outside that brainwashed extremism that it's an abhorrent, self-annihilating philosophy.

I love you, handofdave!
Moon Cat
9577 posts

Re: Incredible and terrible
Nov 30, 2007, 16:36
It's insane. My question is regarding this issue, and I posit the same thing to fundeMENTALists of every creed when this kind of thing happens, is - if your faith is so fuckin' absolute and unshakeable, then why do you get flustered and go beserk at the slightest provocation. Seem's to me that if it takes so small a thing to rattle you then perhaps your faith ain't all its cracked up to be.

I think when people have said there's a political agenda to this they are right. It's interesting to see that various Muslim speakers in the UK have spoken out against this very quickly and very strongly which is fairly encouraging. After all, it's not exactly the best PR in the world for Islam as a fair and peaceful faith.

Bonkers!
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index