Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 28, 2007, 08:56
Re: Incredible and terrible
Nov 28, 2007, 08:54
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uklatest/story/0,,-7109299,00.html

Seems one little boy named the bear after himself, not the prophet, and things look better for the woman.

Now if that don't learn em all, nothing will;-)

x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 28, 2007, 11:04
It never should have come to this point anyway. I hope they apologize to that teacher profusely, and in the future be a little less gung ho about throwing people in prison over something so ridiculous.

But of course, I'm just an 'infidel', so what do I know.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Nov 28, 2007, 11:50
handofdave wrote:

But of course, I'm just an 'infidel', so what do I know.

Oh makes two and (perhaps) more of us then!

I just hope the kid isn't in for it now, coz these extremists do like their vengeance.

I have caught the odd phone in, and many Muslims are as baffled about the whole thing as the rest of us. One of our tacky daytime Tv shows had one Muslim woman on saying her son names his toys after his dad, and guess what that is...

No, it shouldn't have got to this, and those who want to keep the 'extraordinary relationship with the UK' I keep hearing about can be as contrite as they want - they've been 'outed' for the whole of posterity.

x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 28, 2007, 12:39
It's very confusing trying to fathom the disconnected logic of our western democracies being so friendly with some of these regimes. In the name of oil, 'strategic' concerns, etc., we look the other way while these 'friends' of ours brutalize people, repress free speech, and rob their citizenry, as in the case of the Saudi Royals.

To be in power, almost anywhere, it seems you need to be able to drop one's integrity at the drop of a hat. I realize that this is how the real world actually works, but when the leaders pretend they are standing firm for their ideals it's a bit laughable.
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

F-ing intolerant religious maniacs
Nov 29, 2007, 03:56
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/africa/article2963737.ece

So now she's been formally charged. Goddamned Sudanese government! They're seemingly going to take out their backwards, pathological tribalism on this innocent woman, who's old enough to be a grandmother.

I have to admit that at times, it's really difficult not to feel a bit anti-Muslim when you hear about this kind of totally irrational and insane shit. Yes, I remind myself that most of the Islamic world is not this evil. But where are the moderates? Is it really too much to ask that they step in and do something about reigning in their foaming, bloodthirsty brethren?

If Sudan goes ahead with this blatantly injust punishment, I hope the repercussions for their government are harsh indeed.
Wiggy
1696 posts

Re: F-ing intolerant religious maniacs
Nov 29, 2007, 10:59
I suspect that this has less to do with Islam, and more to do with political leverage re. the UK's stance on Darfur, etc.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 29, 2007, 11:22
Its ironic she is charged with inciting hatred. There is probably not a single person that could be incited to hate anyone by the naming of a teddy. But them charging her, that'll do it big time.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Nov 29, 2007, 11:24
Ps -
so they should be flogged. Its the law.
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Edited Nov 29, 2007, 12:39
Nov 29, 2007, 12:38
Yes, follow through logic for ye!

Of course, like any other religious zealot whoever enforces such arbitrary rules (that's all they are) they give less of a stuff about their 'God' that any of us non-believers, a sentiment that of course landed Salman Rushdie in deep sheet.

Empty little power merchants thriving on misery and terrorising people.

Newsnight was interesting. A member from The British Muslim council decried the whole thing as ridiculous and dangerous, where some other a-hole insisted 'there is no place in Islam for nursery rhymes or teddy bears', and attempted to tie the whole thing in with 'a general anti-Muslim climate'. So the ted in question must've been smuggled in like it was some big bag of heroin or something.
x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Nov 29, 2007, 16:55
shanshee_allures wrote:
some other a-hole insisted 'there is no place in Islam for nursery rhymes or teddy bears'

How unbelievably tragic is that attitude? There's no room for childhood in Islam, but apparently there's an infinite amount of room for Jihad, AK-47s and suicide bombing.

I'm proud to be an infidel if that is Islam. It's very obvious to anyone who stands outside that brainwashed extremism that it's an abhorrent, self-annihilating philosophy.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index