Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

whaling and the wretched Japanese
Feb 13, 2007, 20:03
At least our government is behind this.
http://www.24dash.com/environment/15935.htm
don't you sometimes feel like if you're sane in this world, you are totally in the minority. What the fuck are people doing killing thousands of whales to eat, in this day and age. And Japan are basically paying tiny countries to support them in votes. It's utterly mad. What is the matter with people.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: whaling and the wretched Japanese
Feb 13, 2007, 20:42
Yes I know exactly what you mean about thinking that if you're relatively sane you're in a TINY minority!

I cannot CANNOT defend whaling; it's unacceptable on every level and way out on a different plane from, say, tuna fishing which, imo, is bad enough.

To slaughter endangered species is NOT excusable, especially by a first world country with plenty to eat - when did anyone last hear of someone starving to death in Japan?

It's also utterly barbaric; there doesn't seem to be the slightest nod towards animal welfare or humane killing. And I'm not prepared to accept it's a cultural thing on a par with shooting deer for venison, because I'm not exactly in favour of that either!

Grrrrrrrrrr and grrrrrrrrrrr, and once again grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.......
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 08:50
AND the Japanese spokesman had the nerve to say that the protesters were ECO TERRORISTS!!! This is the height of irony.
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 08:50
It's not only the Japanese, I'm afraid. The Norwegian authorities had generously allowed the handful of Norwegian whalers a killing quota of 670 animals for 2005.
Whaling today has no ecconomical or cultural significance; it's a story of greed and cowardly politicians.

http://www.greenpeace.org/international/campaigns/save-our-seas-2/save-the-whales
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 10:44
I did see something about that on the news some time ago. Some arch-nobshiner of a whaler was saying how it was all ok because the whales he hunted weren't endangered (yeah right...) and anyway it was a cultural thing that people who didn't understand had no right to criticise. Sounded very similar to a fox hunting enthusiast in this country trying to defend fox hunting - you don't understand so leave us alone. You're damn right I 'don't understand' and furthermore I don't think I want to!
mojojojo
mojojojo
1940 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 11:43
Don't you see? It's for research purposes. That's what the official line is. They murder the whales in order to help them.

x
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 12:33
mojojojo wrote:
Don't you see? It's for research purposes. That's what the official line is. They murder the whales in order to help them.

x

Talk about your Orwellian doublespeak, yeah, that line is incredibly insulting to the intelligence of everyone, even the bullshitters that came up with it.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 12:51
Of course! RESEARCH! 'I wonder what will happen if we harpoon this whale? I wonder how long it will take it to die? i wonder what it will taste like? Right, we've found all that out now, but just to be sure, let's do it all again...' I think the Japanese know all they need to know about Wales now!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 12:57
Daminxa wrote:
I think the Japanese know all they need to know about Wales now!

I think everyone does.
supercat
supercat
4257 posts

Feb 14, 2007, 13:13
Huff!
stop buying Japanese products until they stop killing the whales. Hit them in the pocket.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index