Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
handofdave
handofdave
3515 posts

Re: whaling and the wretched Japanese
Feb 15, 2007, 14:43
Merrick wrote:
I had a Norwegian woman tell me, in all seriousness, whaling was essential because otherwise the whales eat too many of the fish.

Did you remind her that fish AND whale stocks were at their highest before the advent of today's deep sea fishing methods? It was one thing when whales were hunted using old world technology. Now it's no contest- everything in the ocean is easy prey for today's factory ships... and we're already seeing widespread collapse of many stocks due to the 'efficiency' of these fleets.
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Feb 15, 2007, 14:50
There was a kind of debate here some years ago, and the newspapers where full of arguments on that insightful level.
A local politician said, also in full earnest; "It's allright to kill the whales, they're not as intelligent as some people think."
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Feb 15, 2007, 14:52
Thanks, interesting link.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Feb 15, 2007, 15:57
Then I guess it's okay to kill politicians using the same argument.
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 15, 2007, 16:27
Good for them! Brave people indeed!
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 15, 2007, 16:29
Yes it's a cultural thing. You wouldn't understand. In fact by challenging our inherent racism, imperialism and general bigotry we're being intensely disloyal to ourselves and this oh-so-great nation of ours! :-p

And don't get me started on female circumcision...
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Feb 15, 2007, 16:32
Phew! That's a relief! I shall sleep easier in my bed tonight! I mean now I know whales are thick as pigshit then surely they deserve to die?! Just when I think I can no longer be rendered speechless at the stupidity of people I am, yet again, proven wrong....
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Feb 16, 2007, 07:16
He didn't see that implication for some reason, but I believe his remark gave birth to the slogan "Dumber than a Whale".
Lupus
Lupus
641 posts

Feb 16, 2007, 10:43
There were all kinds of mental acrobatics being used to shift the attention from the simple fact: whales are an endangered species about to be obliterated.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

dolphins slaughtered by the Japanese
Feb 27, 2007, 23:01
Did you SEE this on the tv?? Unbelievable and sickening. Dolphins writhing around in their own blood. Stuck with knives on hooks. And they end up as restaurant food or even for fucks sake pet food. Or possibly even worse, entertaining people in captivity.
At least this is on the 10 o clock news, at least it's being shown to the masses these days.
http://www.itv.com/news/index_6e048a6415a624e91e7d5d9b4fc86ab6.html
Sorry for the outburst but it was really shocking footage.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index