whaling and the wretched Japanese

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Daminxa
Daminxa
1415 posts

Re: dolphins slaughtered by the Japanese
Feb 28, 2007, 10:07
Fucking unbelievable. Totally UTTERLY unnecessary and completely sickening. Words fail me.
dee
1955 posts

Re: dolphins slaughtered by the Japanese
Feb 28, 2007, 11:37
Sounds horrible! Bastards!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Feb 01, 2008, 12:15
Re: whaling and the wretched Japanese
Mar 02, 2007, 23:07
Wretched Japanese?

Another of those generalizations that fall into the same category as 'stupid Americans' or 'humourless Germans' methinks. Before launching into an attack on the wretched Japanese perhaps you could examine the number of whales 'accidentally' killed by Western container ships each year, and the number of whales washed ashore in this country, and others, with burst eardrums.

Oh, and as probably the only person on this thread who has actually stood in a Japanese supermarket and screamed against the obscenity of hunting the whale and selling its meat, please don't resort to this sort of 'wretched' generalization of a nation without the certainty that the majority of people comprising that nation think and behave in a way that you seem to imagine they think and behave.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Mar 03, 2007, 12:06
Ok it was a generalisation. 'Wretched' is quite polite really.To be honest I was fully aware of my generalisation when I made it.

I know you have infinitely more understanding of the JApanese culture than I do. But would the general feeling in this country allow whale hunting of endangered species to go on here? I really think not. Similarly most of the population is against fox hunting and the death penalty, and those are things our laws now reject too. I don't think there can be a majority feeling against whale hunting in Japan or it wouldn't be happening.

Yeah I might be wrong.
Another thing I object to is that the Japanese line (unlike the Norwegians, who at least pull the sovereign cultural thing) is that it's for 'scientific research' which is a blatant fib. I would have more respect (although no less sympathy) if they just admitted they're doing it to eat the things, as they've done for centuries. However I happen to think that the cultural relativity argument doesn't apply when you're doing it on an industrial scale that damages the population size.

Besides, when I make remarks about 'bloody americans' it is merely shorthand for 'bloody americans who vote in a warmonger like George Bush who etc etc' - likewise of course when I say 'wretched Japanese' I am not referring to the apparent minority of Japanese who are dead set against whaling and skewering dolphins in the eye. But the majority of Americans (allegedly) voted Bush in. And the majority of Japanese (presumably) agree with whaling. So it's just convenient shorthand isn't it. I'm sure I'm not the only person who talks like this. You may think it means I am an uneducated and ignorant person, but maybe I'm only coming across that way, I think I'm quite aware and interested in other cultures actually.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Edited Mar 05, 2007, 12:44
Mar 05, 2007, 10:35
Do have a look at the second thread with this title. It isn't the entire japanede population in that video either, but there's a huge majority who aren't doing anything to stop it.

EDIT: Let's say Japanese people who are wretched enough to participate in this industry in whatever way and those who give it credence by not standing up to say 'no'.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 05, 2007, 14:30
You make some good points Rhiannon, especially about tarring all the citizens of a nation with the same brush 'bloody Americans' etc ...

But just to pick up on the pathetic reasons nations give for killing whales.

Scientific reasons. Pah! Any science going on should monitor numbers, breeding patterns, migration routes, feeding grounds, etc. Not murder shitloads of them and sell them for food.

The Norwegians and Faroese say it's their 'tradition'. At one time witch-burning was a tradition in this country. Sometimes we move on.... I never respond favourably to the 'tradition' argument. It usually conceals bigotry, laziness or both.

I will not be going to Japan or Norway any time soon and I certainly will not be buying Norsk or Japanese products without thinking very hard. It's really, really hard to boycott Japanese products :-(

There's some good stuff here:
http://www.wdcs.org/dan/publishing.nsf/allweb/DB6E7E846A183F338025687F005409E6
Hob
Hob
4033 posts

Edited Jan 15, 2008, 22:07
Activists held hostage
Jan 15, 2008, 22:05
This sounds like an unpleasant turn of events:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/whale-watch/activists-held-hostage/2008/01/15/1200159450223.html

and:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/01/16/2139273.htm?section=justin

I hope this gets some coverage in the UK press. I can't see that they'll be kept against their will for long, but the fact that it happened at all is pretty cruddy. But I guess, being tied to the mast for a few hours in sub zero temperatures is better than being hacked apart for 'research purposes'. Apparently the whalers are justifying their actions on the grounds that the activists are technically pirates.

Gah!

EDIT:

They are to be released:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23060519-26103,00.html
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Activists held hostage
Jan 16, 2008, 10:07
thanks for spotting that.

Even if the men weren't locked up /tied up it (and they are 'pirates') it doesn't cancel out the fact that the whaling ship was inside the conservation zone.

I think the majority of the world can figure out who's behaving worst in this case..
shanshee_allures
2563 posts

Re: Activists held hostage
Jan 16, 2008, 15:09
Dunno if anyone here heard the guy from the Japanese Ministry today on Jeremy Vine.
He 'argued' that the killings are needed in order to obtain Whale ear wax so as to ascertain how old the creatures are, and the meat has to be sold in order to raise revenue for the research!
Oh that and they have to be killed and monitored and tinned etc for the scientific purpose of ensuring there are enough of them to eh, be killed later on.
'Was rather unbelievable.

x
Merrick
Merrick
2148 posts

BBC impartiality strikes again
Jan 16, 2008, 19:45
Rhiannon wrote:
Even if the men weren't locked up /tied up it (and they are 'pirates') it doesn't cancel out the fact that the whaling ship was inside the conservation zone.

I love the way the BBC report runs the Japanese denial of the tying up without any comment.

Twelve hours before the BBC report was published, the Telegraph posted a report including a photo of one of the men tied up whilst the whalers dealt with the other

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml;jsessionid=1BECRQXPOCJABQFIQMFSFFOAVCBQ0IV0?xml=/earth/2008/01/15/eawhale115.xml

Lazy journalism, or the bias due to the BBC having an embedded reporter on the Greenpeace vessel (who have something of a rivalry with Sea Shepherd)?
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index