Rubbish & chips

Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Re: Rubbish & chips
Aug 30, 2006, 09:28
It will lead to fly tipping, and using other peoples bins for heavy stuff. I see street warfare!!!!!!
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Aug 31, 2006, 10:39
Aug 30, 2006, 10:49
pooley wrote:
Something else, Jim, that I admit I have only just thought of.

What other area of your life would you allow this intrusion to happen in? Does agreeing with the ends justify the means? I'm very against all the various intrusions that we have been subjected to under Blair, and all the other stuff that we will have subjected on to us (id cards etc). Does that fact that this intrusion will be for the good mean we should accept it?

Hmmmm.

If I'm misreading you, pooley, then please say so and I'll completely apologise. But you give the impression of having made up your mind that the chipping of bins is A Bad Thing based on some sort of gut feeling, and are now casting around for any and all rationalisations for what is essentially an irrational reaction.

The reason I feel this is because you don't appear capable of acknowledging anything I say. I respond to each of your objections with (I believe) a well-reasoned response. Rather than saying "Good point, Jim, BUT...." you merely ignore my words and launch into yet another rejection. And those rejections appear - to me - to be getting sillier and sillier.

Nowhere did I suggest that "the end justifies the means" as a general principle. Nor that government intrusions are a good thing. But clearly the question of whether the ends justify the means must be answered on a case-by-case basis. Plunging a blade into someone's stomach isn't a justifiable means if the end is to get him to stop talking in the cinema. It is, however, a justifiable means if you're a surgeon and the end is to remove his inflamed appendix.

Similarly with the chipping of bins, I'm not proposing some kind of 'universal Machiavellian principle' here, I'm suggesting that weighing the amount of garbage being disposed by individual households is a more than justifiable means towards the end of reducing the environmental impact of humanity.

Quite how you equate that with government intrusion and biometric ID cards is utterly beyond me. In fact I fail to see how it can be classified as "intrusion" at all, unless you're suggesting that you have an Unalienable Right to dispose of as much waste as you choose without anyone - including those handling the mechanics of the disposal - regulating it in any way. Frankly I find that idea simply bizarre.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 10:57
Rhiannon wrote:
At the moment, if it's only a trial, why are the bugs necessary at all? If the lorries are weighing the bins, they could just do their statistics on the numbers without pinning down the bins to particular addresses. It does seem unnecessarily big-brotherish to stick bugs in people's bins without telling them.

As I understand it Rhiannon, the councils currently chipping bins are trialing the technology which will allow them to charge in the future. I fail to see how they could trial the technology without using the technology. Seems like an odd objection.

Rhiannon wrote:
And later, when you've informed them you're going to do it.. well that sounds great if you don't have to pay as much as the people downstairs that put out 5 bin bags every week. BUUT how do you stop people just dumping rubbish at the side of the road and not putting it in their bin? You wouldn't even need to sneak to a field or a layby. You could just put your bin bag randomly in the street.

Well, schemes such as this have been operated all over the world for years (I recall in America having to pay per bag, and here in Ireland we pay by weight - at least in my area). Certainly there were teething problems. And even today there are occasional stories of illegal dumping or the disposal of household waste in public bins. But by-and-large both we and the Americans have made it work (massively increased penalties for illegal dumping are just one tactic in that battle) as I'm sure have many other nations.

I'm afraid you'll have to demonstrate some compelling cultural reason why the British would be unwilling or incapable of taking responsibility for their own waste. Personally I think the opposite would be true... culturally the UK is far more compliant to authority than anywhere else I've lived (perhaps with the exception of Saudi Arabia). Though I'd be interested to hear why you believe it works elsewhere but wouldn't in the UK.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 10:58
pooley wrote:
It will lead to fly tipping, and using other peoples bins for heavy stuff. I see street warfare!!!!!!

It hasn't in other countries. Why will the UK be any different?
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 11:03
Ah well if it works in other places it'll probably work here. Perhaps people are generally more responsible than I give them credit for. I'm certainly not against the idea*, I just think it would be Polite to tell people you're monitoring them. Otherwise people might turn against the thing you're doing for no other reason (oops - which seems to be the feeling that might be happening here?). Here at work at the moment it's a cliche but the management are planning lots of changes but not telling us the details, and then asking 'will that be alright then?' - understandably we feel in the dark and aggravated, and are resisting it all. It's the same kind of thing. A bit of openness goes a long way. After all it's for the common good in the end innit.

*our tiny flat is full of bags of paper, card, bottles, cans etc which a less concerned person would chuck into the bin rather than stare at / trip over etc in such a small space. And you should see my angst in supermarkets. I'm all for waste reduction.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 11:03
nigelswift wrote:
The house address printed on the outside with a machine readable bar code might have been simpler and less apparently "sneaky".

These are rubbish bins we're talking about. How soon before stickers peel off in the rain, or barcodes get obscured by dirt? How long will rubbish collection take when the bin-men are having to clean the side of each bin before they tip the contents into the truck?

Seems fairly impractical to me.
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Edited Aug 30, 2006, 11:30
Aug 30, 2006, 11:22
Rhiannon wrote:
Ah well if it works in other places it'll probably work here. Perhaps people are generally more responsible than I give them credit for.

Sadly I think the threat of massive fines for non-compliance probably has as much to do with the schemes working as "personal responsibility". But c'est la vie.

Rhiannon wrote:
I'm certainly not against the idea*, I just think it would be Polite to tell people you're monitoring them. Otherwise people might turn against the thing you're doing for no other reason (oops - which seems to be the feeling that might be happening here?).

As I've said elsewhere on this thread, I don't honestly see this as "monitoring" per se. When you place your rubbish in a council bin for them to dispose of, are you still claiming ownership of it? Don't you believe - what with them having to provide the logistics and equipment to handle that waste - that they have a right... no, an obligation... to handle it as efficiently as possible?

I have to say, I've genuinely had my mind blown by this thread. Usually here we're lambasting the authorities for not doing enough to prevent environmental damage. Now, however, we have them trialing a system - proven to do just that in other nations - and the general attitude is negative.

I feel the allegations of Big Brother tactics are spurious. I honestly can't see how waste-disposal charging by weight is an intrusion into a part of your life you have a right to keep private... as I say, unless you feel you have A Right to chuck as much waste into the environment as you want without any form of regulation.

Rhiannon wrote:
Here at work at the moment it's a cliche but the management are planning lots of changes but not telling us the details, and then asking 'will that be alright then?' - understandably we feel in the dark and aggravated, and are resisting it all. It's the same kind of thing. A bit of openness goes a long way. After all it's for the common good in the end innit.

There's no doubt - given the furore (anyone else weirded-out by the fact that the same attitude is manifest here as in the Daily Mail?) - that this could have been handled better from a PR standpoint. But that's a whole other issue as to whether it's a good idea in principle.

And it is.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 11:59
It is frightening to think we might be agreeing with anything in that rag. Perhaps people wouldn't give a stuff about the council monitoring their rubbish, openly or covertly, unless there was this underlying threat of people Actually Being Charged Money at some point in the future. Ah yes, the polluter pays.

Maybe there's a bit of fear that you, Mr Jones, will be held up as the Worst Waster in the road in the local paper and will have to pay £x for the privelidge of your disgraceful behaviour. Maybe that's why it's in the daily mail, as their readers are always obsessed with keeping up with the neighbours, worrying what the neighbours think, being taxed for things (I don't need to pay national insurance, I'm not even ill) etc.
pooley
pooley
501 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 12:39
grufty jim wrote:
pooley wrote:
Something else, Jim, that I admit I have only just thought of.

What other area of your life would you allow this intrusion to happen in? Does agreeing with the ends justify the means? I'm very against all the various intrusions that we have been subjected to under Blair, and all the other stuff that we will have subjected on to us (id cards etc). Does that fact that this intrusion will be for the good mean we should accept it?

Hmmmm.

If I'm misreading you, pooley, then please say so and I'll completely apologise. But you give the impression of having made up your mind that the chipping of bins is A Bad Thing based on some sort of gut feeling, and are now casting around for any and all rationalisations for what is essentially an irrational reaction.

The reason I feel this is because you don't appear capable of acknowledging anything I say. I respond to each of your objections with (I believe) a well-reasoned response. Rather than saying "Good point, Jim, BUT...." you merely ignore my words and launch into yet another rejection. And those rejections appear - to me - to be getting sillier and sillier.

Nowhere did I suggest that "the end justifies the means" as a general principle. Nor that government intrusions are a good thing. But clearly the question of whether the ends justify the means must be answered on a case-by-case basis. Plunging a blade into someone's stomach isn't a justifiable means if the end is to get him to stop talking in the cinema. It is, however, a justifiable means if you're a surgeon the end is to remove his inflamed appendix.

Similarly with the chipping of bins, I'm not proposing some kind of 'universal Machiavellian principle' here, I'm suggesting that weighing the amount of garbage being disposed by individual households is a more than justifiable means towards the end of reducing the environmental impact of humanity.

Quite how you equate that with government intrusion and biometric ID cards is utterly beyond me. In fact I fail to see how it can be classified as "intrusion" at all, unless you're suggesting that you have an Unalienable Right to dispose of as much waste as you choose without anyone - including those handling the mechanics of the disposal - regulating it in any way. Frankly I find that idea simply bizarre.

Ok, I know i've been a bit flip about all this. But I have said that I agree that we all have to manage our waste properly. I just don't think this is the way. From the very start it's been underhand and secretive and, as you have quite rightly said, could have been handled better.
Sorry that I didn't say when I agreed with you. Like you I think that something needs to be done, like you I think we all have to claim personal responsibility for our waste. Like you (i'm assuming) I recycle, and do all I can to manage my waste.
Unlike you, I think this system isn't the way forward. My comment about warfare on the streets was meant to be taken literally. What I meant is, and has been said before on thisthread, it will lead to people putting heavier objects in other peoples bins. And disposing of rubbish in less than ethical ways.

Sorry if you thought my objections were only thought up to justify my viewpoint. That isn't the case. The one time when something just popped into my head, I admitted it at the start of the post. Maybe that's where you got the idea. Maybe I'm not very good at expressing myself.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Aug 30, 2006, 13:25
grufty jim wrote:
nigelswift wrote:
The house address printed on the outside with a machine readable bar code might have been simpler and less apparently "sneaky".

These are rubbish bins we're talking about. How soon before stickers peel off in the rain, or barcodes get obscured by dirt? How long will rubbish collection take when the bin-men are having to clean the side of each bin before they tip the contents into the truck?

Seems fairly impractical to me.

Impractical indeed. That said every Dublin bin is visibly numbered so that you can be sure that you have your own bin and that someone else isn't filling up the bin that you will be charged for.
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index