31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: 3000!
Jan 18, 2002, 16:58
A fine list indeed.

The main one to note is Sophie Germain (1776-1831) she was nothing short of brilliant. HOWEVER, she was a woman when women were too stupid to be clever and she had to assume the pen name Antoine Le Blanc in her writings with Gauss. Eventually she informed Gauss of her true identity and he then petitioned for access to the accademies for women. She is the Rosa Parks of women's mathemetics.

Sadly, as you rightly said, women are lacking from the list of great mathemticians. One that is always forgotten id Albert Einstein's wife/secretary, it was she that proved most of his theories mathematically for him.

Read the Florence Nighingale .. yes she of the lamp .. story. I haven't read the one from the list Grufty Jim pointed out, but it's surprising to see what she did. What I want to know is why they don't teach that side of her life in schools !!!??? Still trying to keep the little woman in the home nursing the hard working husband, I suppose. Now there's a debate subject.

Flo Nightingale's mathematical achievements are not mentioned in schools today ... discuss.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index