U-Know! Forum »
3000!

31 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

Re: 3000!
Jan 16, 2002, 23:21
I just started reading a book about 18th century inverness (written by my old schools french teacher!) It mentions the first schools there being monastic, due to the much earlier influence of columba and the monastries set up in the area then ,later grammer schools for boys only, of course, but emphisis was on latin and greek other subjects weren't regarded as terribly important much later things such as navigation and arithmetic etc were introduced. eventually girls were allowed to get an education but prior to that they brewed ale ( tea was too expensive) for the household and were allowed too sell produce. From what i have read so far it was a hard life.
One thing though that was interesting was that prior to the basic abolishment of gaelic (encouraged in the north by lowand scottish powers) often if an english man was in the area he would converse in latin due to not understanding gaelic and at that point the highlander not understanding english, so it did make sense that latin was a main part of education at these times, and no doubt came in useful when in the company of others with respect to trade etc.
sorry i have digressed as usual!
love
carolinex
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index