U-Know! Forum »
3000!

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
caergog
393 posts

Re: 3000!
Jan 13, 2002, 21:14
just to give you one more reply! what i would be interested to know is are there any futuristic writngs from 1000 years ago about what today would be like, I don't mean such things as biblical writngs but your more general stuff.
3000 is a long time away i almost feel we have almost reached a peak of technology (emphisis on the word almost) but i hope by then some more ancient ideas will have resurfaced and work in conjunction with new/present ideas. Too much of modernity was too quick to dismiss the past but i feel things are a changing and have been for a while.
love
carolinexx
caergog
393 posts

Jan 13, 2002, 21:42
sorry i didn't mean anything by that other than one more reply( cos of what 'wagij' said before), I don't want to get involved with your wee fights it'll sort itself out. I'm sorry you think i was taking sides no way it is between you and charlie boy. I was just replying to your message
love
carolinex or marion since shes nice!
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 14, 2002, 00:49
*U* have always BeEn here!

* U* WiLL see 3000 SIMply cus *U* WILL BE THERe!

ThEeE EtErNAl WhEEL kEePs oN TuRnIn!

ThEe kInG*
p.s I won't be there CuS i WILL BE A BuDdHA bY tHeN!
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

Jan 14, 2002, 00:52
a PsyCedelic BuDdHA!
cHARles*
cHARLIE
cHARLIE
2607 posts

IS THAT what U FiNk E'H*
Jan 14, 2002, 10:14
i GET u jIg!
I Just DON'T lIKE that ThErE neeD To Be nasty To PPl Just fer entertainment VALuE! tHERE IS SUCH A THING AS BEING NiCE TO ppl U~Know!
I don't care if ya hate me or hate My art But I HAVE BEEN AROUND WAY ToO long to Take shite of f Of PpL lIKE u!
So cHiLL OuT PlEASE oR elSe I will Leave!
CHarles nOt cHuCk*
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 14, 2002, 11:08
Unfortunately 1000 years ago there was only biblical writing! The wisdom of the ancients (such as the Babylonians and Greeks was heresy. It was the ultimate sin, punishable by death, to speculate about such things. It was not until Gallileo that 'modern' thought was allowed to grow and even he got in the shit for it. It took the great mathemeticians - Newton, Leibniz, Pascal, Descartes & Co - to start to dispel the crap. Saying that even Descartes said this is mathematics describes how the world works ... except for God, he's different. Newton claimed that the mathematics he developed and revolutoinised the world with just showed that God planned the Earth by mathematical formuli.

Amazing really that such forward thinking MoFos as these illustrious people still clung on to 'God' as the reason and maker behind everything.
caergog
393 posts

Jan 14, 2002, 16:43
maybe they had to for fear of being treated in a similar manner to that of gallelio, or others. That way they were able to get their points accross with out upsetting the powers that be!
love
carolinex
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 14, 2002, 17:21
Years spent studying the history of mathematics have led me to believe/know that the above mentioned were religious people. You see mathematics has always been akin to philosophy in the eyes of mathematicians. Newton's great work the Principia has a full title of Principles of Natural Philosophy. Gallileo's only error (for his own welfare) was to say that the universe did not revolve around the earth. In saying this he effecitively said man is not the center of the universe and therefore man is not the sole reason the universe exists.

Descartes actually stopped exploring maths and became a priest or something, The Bernoulli brothers gave credit to a lot of their theories as being from God's world, they only uncovered them.

Even the Platonic order in ancient Greece echoed veiws that the universe was run mathematically, like a machine by a set of rules that were layed down in the very foundation of the universe.

The first real person to say ... Hang on! All the maths actually disproves that God exists was Bertrand Russell in the early part of this century.

The greatest mathematician this century ever knew was a bloke called Paul Erdis. When he was presented with a particularly beautiful proof he used to say that it came "Straight from the book". He believed that God has a book with all the simple, proper truths in it. Him saying that about your proof was the highest honour in mathematics! I really recommend his life story called "The Man Who Loved Only Numbers" as a fascinating read.

Until the 1800s mathematics was held back, at a level below what was accepted by the Greeks, by religion and its attitude on 'the hand of God' influencing all things.

Sorry I've prattled on a bit there haven't I!? But I could go on into the works of Fibbinaci, Euler, Leibniz, Raphson, Fermat and many others and go on for hours about the effect that religion and religious beliefs damaged their work.

A small thing to note ... most of the advances in mathematics (and this is still true today) have been necessitated by the need to understand principles that can be applied to contemporary weapons. Newton revolutionised artillery with his theories of motion and helped make the British Empire what it became.
caergog
393 posts

Jan 15, 2002, 21:47
and to add to the list(since i used to be a geneticist) gregor mendal the 'father of genetics' who was a monk although strictly speaking as with alot of people his work wasn't really recognised initially. Another thing of course is that alot of the most educated men in the past unless very rich, were involved with religon if you look at the paintings on the walls in various colleges in oxford most are ministers of some type( no doubt they were pretty welloff to start too though). But in alot of ways education and religon did go hand in hand.
But i often wonder if it was true faith or just because religous beliefs were passed on and passed and just accepted until eventually the cycle was broken because religon was questioned and people had the courage to speak up and discuss their beliefs.
That above statement sounds like religon is all a thing of the past of course in many situations the cycle still exists today.
love
carolinex
ps don't worry about rambling on ,I do ,at least you normally make sense and it is interesting to read!
caergog
393 posts

Re: Jigsaws EP#
Jan 15, 2002, 22:17
you are a naughty boy i think avu should spank you!
love
auntie caroline xxx
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index