Mr Grufty Jim Sir !!

39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Annexus Quam
926 posts

Re: complete agreement
Dec 11, 2001, 00:11
Mr Apocalypse,

It's a double-edged sword, the severing of this possible oil-dependency umbilical chord, innit? as you say, the human race is just not clever enough, though, I think it is, it's just stupid enough to let itself rely on a bunch of bastards, beginning with the oil moguls+politicians+crooks incestuous breed.

Better to be self-reliant. The smaller the community, the better. No corruption. No appearing to your fellow citizens on the telly grinning thinking 'fuck you' when you're saying 'god bless us'. No distant pressing of a button that directs a missile towards another group of distant human beings you've never met.
Be local in a uniquely global and human way.

On the one hand, here's a huge new horizon for the planet, where people'd have the chance to change their stupid wastefucker way of life for something a bit more wholly and healthy. A new framework created for mankind, aided by current production.

On the other hand, only at the very last moment would people act, and then, only the rich, the greedy and the ones-to-blame-in-the-first-place would have the remaining resources to survive damning the rest to die an uncomfortable death.

Needless to say, I know which of these would, in the case of a big energy crisis, be more likely.

Please let us know how you fare in the future. I fear there's not a few of us here planning to go 'organic' and 'self-sustainable' one day. Perhaps we will have to plunge into the adventure anyway all of a sudden, want it or not. Though I suppose by the time that happens there would just be no need for this PC, or else, energy available. Are there any wind-up cd players or computers, as there are radio sets?

To go back to the 'oil' issue - will they completely obliterate Alaska in the ten or so years before the first signs of a crisis? After all, whatever oil remains there means profit for at least another decade.

Sad.

Hopefully a few more solar cells will be manufactured in the meantime. Or else we can always live off the 10% produced by wind power right now in many countries (excepting the UK, that is) - I think using 10% of the energy we use now wouldn't be a big problem, as long as it's rationally used. I am sure about 90% of what we use is totally unnecessary. Take how much energy, oil, money and resources are being squandered right now to find one man *supposedly* hiding in a cave far away, for example. As long as we continue to rely on wankers who wrap themselves in a flag for their own self interest or personal pride then we will continue to be damned.

I guess I have earned the title of Mr Idealist. Then again, in the case of a 0% energy availability, I'd have no problem living like a troglodyte, after all, some of the best records are unique freak-outs created by 'stone age' technology! (e.g.Hapshash and the Coloured Coat)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index