Mr Grufty Jim Sir !!

39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: Paranoid
Dec 10, 2001, 16:58
in that context i was just talking about the food i the freezer. rather than adopt a four-season harvest strategy (perfectly possible in ireland with a greenhouse and some very serious planning... it's just a lot of work), decent refigeration should allow two harvests per year.

the trouble is, if you power your freezer by windmill, then you could have fairly long spells of no power when the wind drops. efficient freezers (sunk into the ground and well insulated) will keep the food from spoiling for a while without power, but obviously not forever.

the advantages of the irish / scottish coasts is that those periods of no-power are few and far between... hence a minimal risk of spoilage.

to be honest, if/when i set up a wind-power system, i'd probably add an input option from a couple of those bikes that can be seen powering stage equipment at free-festies... so in the unlikely event of the coast of ireland receiving no wind at all for weeks at a time, the refrigeration could be kept ticking over by leg power!
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index