Mr Grufty Jim Sir !!

39 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

complete agreement
Dec 10, 2001, 23:12
hey AQ, i'm completely with you when you state that the problem is the fact that we use far more energy than we need. but it's not a simple case of just stopping.

2% of the US population produces the entire nation's food. that means that 98% are engaged in something else. the only way this is possible is through the vast mechanisation that the hydrocarbon economy has brought us. put an end to that and what happens? the other 98% learn homesteading overnight? is there enough fertile land for them to all live close enough to food sources not to require large scale distribution? can that sort of complete restructuring of civilisation actually occur?

i mean, i'm planning on getting out of the city before too long and going as low-impact and self-sufficient as i can manage. but the bookies would probably put long odds on my chances of success... there are a hundred pitfalls for the wary, let alone the thousands that await the unwary... and i'm planning on doing it when i can still use the hydrocarbon infrastructure as a set of "stabilisers".

my take on the future essentially is that we will see another couple of boom and bust cycles over the next 5 or 6 years or so, then the realisation that oil prices are going up and will never come down again will hit the markets hard. the sort of economic depression that the USA suffered in the 20s/30s will then kick in, but from which there will be no short/medium term recovery. the planet will probably shed much of its population through warfare over the dwindling resources.

just call me mr. apocalypse, eh? :-)
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index