Topic View: Flat | Threaded
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: mike croley
Oct 09, 2005, 11:51
<All you need to be a teacher in 'the system' is a good memory, nothing else.>
That's what I wroye Morfe. You have a habit of reading me wrong, don't you?"

OK Mike, maybe, i’ll admit that , with the proviso that you might be prepared to admit that what you say is, shall we say, confusing and possibly prejudiced? You see, you forgot that you also wrote:

"Kids are sent to school to be suppressed and numbed down, nothing else. "

Which takes us to:

”Why were you offended by my statement. Your link hardly points to 'the system' does it?

The link was to a critique of the type of school I worked in (Waldorf), and as Waldorf is an anthroposophical curriculum, I would imagine a critique of it’s spiritual teachings would qualify it as ‘the system’ in Croleyworld? So no, I suppose the link was to ‘the system’ after all. Must try harder Mike! F-

You then say:

“If anything, your response would lead most to believe that you did work for 'the system'.”

No, my response was an attempt to show you that (surprise!) not all parents and teachers send their children to school to be ‘suppressed and numbed down’.

They sent them to my school (and still do, despite that it officially works under the state curriculum) because they wanted to give their children the very best chance to improve their lot, and learn how to do simple things like clean their teeth, or learn how to grow food, or wash. Some even became musicians, or proficient at writing. It depended on the child of course, but you can be sure that 24 hrs of the day was devoted to giving the child a caring and creative, resourceful environment that would have been impossible at home.

These are your parents and teachers who send their kids to be suppressed? Numbed down? Your comments do every kind soul I ever met in the course of that working life a grave disservice. I also had some great teachers at my own secondary school as a pupil, but I hated it. Mostly because of bullying kids, ignorance, but also loooong boring lessons. SOmething that taught me NOT to make my own lessons boring or long. We are always learning Mike.

I personally hold as many differences against Waldorf education as I do against the state curriculum, and likewise embrace many aspects of both. No one method will ever be perfect. What you are missing is the hard work that is done by teachers and parents. OFSTED went through our school like an enema about 6 years ago, and I saw people turn to prozac when they should have been teaching, the extra paperwork and meaningless attainment targets were just what weren’t needed in such a school with such pupils. The problem as ever is that each pupil has a different mind, a different soul, and a different chance of success in differing disciplines/pursuits. No society can fund 1-to-1 education for every child, yet my colleagues have put their own health and family and careers on the line in order to give children a chance of some kind of independent life without the chemical handcuffs. In many cases it has worked out. Many not.

“Oh, I don't believe that teachers are conspiring either. They're just passing on the bollocks the system dictates, no questions asked.”

Teachers don’t ask questions? What - ever? Have you ever worked as a teacher/with teachers? Does being a teacher automatically lose the occupant's personality for them? I don’t teach anymore, but I STILL do nothing but ask questions. And I did then. I ask you questions, you don't answer them though!

You then say: "I've read all your links so far simply because they make more sense than you do at times."

Well you didn’t make much sense of the last one, thinking it was anti-‘system’ when it was actually attacking a model of schooling that bucked the ‘system’. Again you seem confused.
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index