gm foods

43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
grufty jim
grufty jim
1978 posts

Re: mofos & delayers
Aug 09, 2004, 11:13
This is indeed the problem. Nobody ever rioted for less.

Talking about peak oil, or global warming, or just basic anti-consumerism, often feels a lot like asking people to leave a party early... to quit eating, drinking and being merry and go stand in the cold when - according to the folks running the party - there's still plenty of food and drink left.

But then I remind myself that actually... that's only how it *appears*.

Study after study is showing that once a person's basic needs are met, additional material possessions rarely add to that persons happinsess. Abandoning rampant consumerism isn't really asking people to stand in the cold.

So I don't see it as telling a person to stop partying. We're just saying;

"hey look people; it's 4am now... if you stop and think about it; the pills have worn off and you're just running on the dregs of adrenaline. It's time we all found comfy sofas, turned off the bangin' techno and put on something chill. Time to kick back and light up a spliff."

OK OK, so I'm stretching the metaphor to breaking point. But the more I think about our situation, the more I come to the conclusion that some sort of phased, managed process of de-industrialisation; whilst holding onto truly worthwhile technologies; is truly possible. I think we have several traumatic decades ahead. But if we were to act sensibly, there's no reason it should be a new "dark age".

"Act sensibly"... hmmmm... frustrating to think that we might not be capable of such a simple-sounding course of action.

And with regards to science and technology. If a managed slow-down, rather than a cataclysmic collapse, is to be achieved; then I believe it'll have to be a process that harnesses our scientific and technological prowess in imaginative ways. There's far too many of us for neo-Luddism to work. If nothing else; we're going to need medicines, waste-treatment and refrigeration to prevent rampant disease and plagues.

Being anti-scienceA rejection of technology..
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index