U-Know! Forum »
gm foods

43 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
gorseddphungus
185 posts

anti science
Aug 05, 2004, 12:47
Although the ill effects of GM food on the environment and the *economic colonialism* of third world countries by acquiring the rights to staple foods like rice, corn or cereals IS already A FACT and is being opposed by poor farmers themselves around the world, you will (may) be surprised to know there are scores of scientists ALSO casting serious doubts over the safety and serious long term consequences of human consumption. And I dont mean weird long-haired scientists ('Fast Show' style), I am talking about those in the mainstream; just read the usual publications or articles in Science magazine etc and the constant debate between respectable scientists who vehemently oppose that technology and those who support it, often mere emissaries of the corporations as is the case with the global warming debate

so the 'being anti-science' argument is ridiculous

paradoxically, over the years I have noticed that being environmentally friendly quite often means PRO-science because the other two camps are:

1) profit-driven lies (it is in the nature of business and corporations, that includes you or me or anyone who would become the head of monsanto)

2) the public who do not care or have no idea

that leaves those who are honestly worried to do the "digging"; also, being against unnecessary organisms in our food is becoming VERY mainstream (overwhelming opinion in Europe and the UK is opposed); once again, many in certain parts of the west are getting increasingly provincial and isolated - and those who find themselves in a dark world minority usually finish by asking themselves 'why do they hate us'?
Topic Outline:

U-Know! Forum Index