UK ID card Bill 'within four weeks'

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: UK ID card Bill 'within four weeks'
Apr 28, 2004, 09:20
pertinent snippet from this morning's pundit on the radio -
if the identity cards are 'voluntary' they'll be no better in preventing terrorism than voluntary dog licenses were at preventing Dog Problems. Only 'responsible' dog owners ever bought a license (2 and 6 at the post office). Likewise you can't see Mr T Errorist going to get his voluntary identity card can you. What a joke.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 11:21
Isn't that an argument for making them compulsary?
Toni Torino
2299 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 12:08
This fella will be able to sell it to the masses. He has the common touch.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/3664381.stm
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 13:12
Well, I suppose it's an argument against a sly sneaking-them-in-gradually way of doing it. So for an all or nothing approach. I'm going for the nothing.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: more details
Apr 28, 2004, 16:10
Come on, beanspiller! Blow your whistle!
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 16:11
If it is supposed to be so effective against terrorism, how come the ID cards the Spanish have didn't stop the Madrid bombings?
TomBo
TomBo
1629 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 16:39
he's just a big tease
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 16:47
What staggers me are the results of this survey that says the British public supposedly support the idea of ID cards. I don't know who did this survey, but it seems a bit dodgy to me. I reckon the questions must have been quite leading, to come up with the answers the government wanted to have.

On the news last night it even said that 56% of people agreed the cards should have the holder's HIV status on them. WHAT?!! What purpose would that serve other than to stigmatise even further people who are HIV+ ? A person's HIV status should be private. Imagine for example going to pick up a car that's been impounded on a parking violation and the people behind the desk knowing your HIV status when they look at your ID card. Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! This could be used like a hi-tech 21st Century version of the yellow star or pink triangle.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Apr 28, 2004, 16:52
I wish I could remember who'd done the survey I heard about illegal immigrants (other thread). It was being reported on the Today programme so I'd like to have thought it was reputable (bar the fact the results were horrifying). Sounds like they were asking the same people for This survey. And probably the same survey that got the rather unlikely '59% of people support hunting' result - that poster that makes my blood BOIL every time I drive past one in a field.
GRRRR
Rhiannon
5291 posts

ps
Apr 28, 2004, 16:54
It does make you wonder how the questions were worded - I mean people already carry dogtags to say they're diabetic etc, and no-one would argue with that as it would mean better care if some accident happened and they weren't conscious. So if the HIV question was put in a crafty way about medical care blah blah and then the answer twisted.. Still outrageous.
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index