From Mad Max to kook

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
pedanthonyqkiernan
pedanthonyqkiernan
18 posts

A pedant returns
Sep 22, 2003, 14:06
No matter how we feel about it, those of us in Scotland are British.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Re: Braveheart
Sep 22, 2003, 14:10
Must agree with FW. No matter how many centuries of 'English oppression' (pah!) the nationalist tendancy rant on about, they seem to gloss over the fact that it's an oppression in which the Scots (and the Welsh) were complicit themselves.

This is not the case 'over by'.
ratcni01
ratcni01
916 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:21
Then by the same token most black people in Britain and the US have the right to hate their white fellow citizens, and the native american indians also have a right to hate all white americans

Everyone has a right to hate who the hell (thats what hate makes too) they like, what counts is what we do in our lives

Speaking of hate as if it were a positive thing just doesn't sit well with me. Angry yes, it would be great if their were more justice in the world, and I think that's what you want too, so co-beligerent Lawrence, what's the answer?

I'm all for pointing out the hypocrisy in any situation, as long as it gets personal and the finger of accusation rests on me from time to time too. Hypocrisy exists at all levels and I'd say I'll be happiest if I tackle my own with as much vehemence as I have done (or tried to) with issues in the world. To be honest I think I might be more successful at the latter when the former is being worked on

However, I also note that a good rant from time to time is good for the soul!
duckbreath
254 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:24
well yes you're right - i'm sorry if i was unclear - if there are any three hundred year old brits still alive who are responsible for british rule in ireland then i support bringing them to justice one hundred per cent - thanks for pointing out my omission there
morfe
morfe
2992 posts

Re: From Mad Max to kook
Sep 22, 2003, 14:33
To the fearful eye, all is threatening.

To the greedy eye, everything can be possessed.

To the judgmental eye, everything is closed in definitive frames.

To the resentful eye, everything is begrudged.

To the indifferent eye, nothing calls or awakens.

To the inferior eye, every else is greater.

To the loving eye, everything is real.
duckbreath
254 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:34
apologies for my sarcasm there - i know what you are saying - that there are situations where people are still alive and can be brought to justice - but there are also situations where we can't solve problems by blaming people who had nothing to do with the original problem - for example it is stupid to blame the current government for oppressing Northern Irish republicans and then demanding they withdraw - there are obligations to all communites - or else should the US hand over all the land back to native americans - and australia back to aborigines?

just think that widespred generalisations of which lawrence averages about three per post with all attempts to 'justify' any kind of hatred are misplaces wastes of time - this is not to say it is a waste of time to justify justice - but 'hate' is not the same as a 'desire to see justice'
Nat
Nat
1905 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:42
Now you know why I love you... sigh... perfect... :o)
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:44
To the survivor, it's the eye of the tiger.
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:44
Actually, it was perfect and I feel like a git now.

Sorry, morfe.
Lawrence
9547 posts

Sep 22, 2003, 14:54
Is there any way to see things differently than the way I see them?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index