"British" Museum

Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

"British" Museum
Jul 29, 2003, 10:28
http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_804193.html?menu=

The Cairo museum want to borrow the Rosetta Stone. Just borrow it. We can have it back. They don't want any trouble. Just for 3 to 6 months.

But the British Museum won't let the nasty foreigners have it. It would "result in our disappointing the five million or so visitors who come to the museum every year." Apparently. Some of which have probably come a long way - like from Egypt - to see it you know.

Cairo museum are lending the BM 50 of Tutankhamouns treasures for an exhibition. But presumably that's different.

Sorry but it does annoy me. This is the 21st century but anyone would think these people are still back in the time of the Great British Empire, what? Colon-ial being the operative word.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Re: "British" Museum
Jul 29, 2003, 10:37
I saw a report about this on local London news and they interviewed someone from the British Museum who heavily hinted that the reason they wouldn't lend it is because they thought it wouldn't be returned. Can't trust those Egyptian types, you know.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 10:59
This gets to me as well. I think we should loan more things. I also didn't see why we had to 'rescue' the Madonna of the Pinks since it was going to the Getty Museum where millions of people could see it - it wasn't going to be shut away in
a private collection. Musems need to realise they are a collective global resource, not an opportunity for flag waving.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:19
Except for the Royal Institute of Pennants.

*coat got*
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:21
Thanks for flagging that up, aqk.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:25
Yeah OK quiet in the peanut gallery thank you :)
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:30
Peanut Gallery? Is that next to the Tate Gateaux?
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7717 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:33
You mean the Latte Gallery.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:33
I dunno these field trips...
Peanut Gallery is a term for the rowdy element of an audience COS they used to sit in the v v cheap seats up in the gallery and eat monkey nuts cos they were cheap and throw them at the performers.
Now, back to the Rosetta stone and the positive globalisation of museums. This is a serious forum and you'll get us thrown out.
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 11:36
Ignoring the shameful digression, couldn't agree with you more. Not really a work of art, but, one of the few times I've ever felt any civic pride was when the Glasgow Museums folk handed back 'The Ghost Shirt'.

http://www.tartanday.gov.uk/ghost.html

Now, what about them Elgin Marbles? God knows the Highlands could do with a tourism kickstart.
Pages: 5 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index