Jul 29, 2003, 14:03
And take yer flag-waving mate wiv yer.
GERRAAAAHT!
Vybik Jon
Vybik Jon
7720 posts

Re: "British" Museum
Jul 29, 2003, 14:07
You can't talk to me like that! I'm off to see the man from my union - Jack.
Lord Lucan
Lord Lucan
2702 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 14:10
Well, you have a point there, but Saddam's Iraq isn't quite the same as today's Greece. The Greeks know the value of this heritage, after all it's a huge source of tourist revenue. I'm sure they're quite capable of treating the marbles with due care. But as you say there should be help available. Surely there should be some kind of European fund available to countries which need to preserve antiquities of European-wide significance. And if the Parthenon isn't of Europe-wide interest then I don't know what is!
anthonyqkiernan
anthonyqkiernan
7087 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 14:25
>>And if the Parthenon isn't of Europe-wide interest then I don't know what is!

If you love Europeland so much why don't you go live there! It's people like you that put Tony Martin in prison.

---------------------------------
*deep breaths - someone left a copy of the Mail on the bus this morning*
---------------------------------

Whatever happened to the huge Buddhas and stuff that the (at that time on 'our' side) Taliban were going to flatten?

A lot of the stuff we've got in Museums make me seriously ashamed. Also, fascinating though they may be, growing up knowing a lot more about Egypt and Rome than I did about 'my own' history is disgraceful.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 15:05
apparently cairo are opening a new bit to their museum, and that's why they want the Rosetta stone for a bit.
An ex boyfriend went to the cairo museum and said it was a bit tatty. But really, I don't see that matters. Haven't we actually said to the Greeks that they can't have the elgin marbles until they build a decent museum for them? And then what excuse will we make when they do?
Ok the (apparent) state of the Iraqi museum was pretty terrible 'backstage' but who are we to look after other people's stuff 'for their own good'? Hmm.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 15:07
I don't know about you but I'm really starting to flag having to listen to all these terrible puns.
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 15:10
He is getting ratty! Will he turn green and split his jeans? Is he really Dr. David BANNER?
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 15:15
Agree surface tattiness does not matter, but conserevation is a bit more than that. humidity, for example, is a real problem, as is temperature control. This has been a real problem with the papyri, for a start, in Cairo. Also in Bagdhad there is evidence of things being wrongly catalogued or not catalogued at all, and many things seem to have been broken before the war. Artefacts in transport are always a risk as well. Elgin Marbles do require a special environment as marble is vary porous and picks up a lot of pollution, and can turn to powder under the wrong conditions. I am not saying these things should not be loaned, but that we should help to provide the proper conditions for anything that gets moved about.
Joanna
Joanna
658 posts

Jul 29, 2003, 15:15
BRUCE Banner. This hulk revisionism must stop!
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

David "Bruce" Banner
Jul 29, 2003, 15:31
Is he the Aussie version?

<running because this one obviously makes you cross>
Pages: 5 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

U-Know! Forum Index