Jan 24, 2003, 11:28
what did he do then?

RG
lobsterboy
lobsterboy
54 posts

Re: ever circulating library?
Jan 24, 2003, 11:30
currently that only aplies to the US (after discussions with the relevant authorities).
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:31
>I find it a great way to get the kids away from the TV and into the open air.<

I find going for a walk is a great way to get the kids away from the TV and into the open air. I don't feel the urge to leave anything behind me.

In the words of Roy Harper -
"please leave this world as clean as when you came..."

Squiddo
x
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Re: Legality of litter and all that
Jan 24, 2003, 11:34
so why can't you just go up to the place and remove the litter, without leaving any of your own?

no objection to people visiting places - I wouldn't have spent the last few years trying to map out the traces of ancient life in the Chilterns on the TMA otherwise:
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/user_profile.php?id=220&show=sites

but we really are very similar groups, which is what makes teasing some of your dimmer colleagues such good sport - we're doing extraordinarily similar things. Except we don't encourage interfering with the site, however you define it

but I'm definitely interested in some of the sites I didn't know about, and haven't got any desire to remove any cache that isn't an intrusion ...

RG
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Re: Legality of litter and all that
Jan 24, 2003, 11:34
ere we go again, round and round the mulberry bush (the one with a little box hidden under it)...

I repeat - why leave anything at all? Either go for a walk for the sake of enjoying the countryside, use a virtual cache or whatever - why leave ANYTHING behind at all? What is the point??
lobsterboy
lobsterboy
54 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:37
told you, you wouldn't agree with me ;)
Squid Tempest
Squid Tempest
8769 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:39
hehe! :-)

Do you see the point I'm trying to make though?
RiotGibbon
1527 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:41
bit selfish and arrogant really, assuming that what you leave behind in the woods is somehow different in status to what other people leave behind, because it's done under a different name?

I see a cacher goes under the name of "The Wombles"

if I was Great Uncle Bulgaria, I'd sue ...

RG
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:41
Take a look at the base of that enormous Geocaching thread. There is a sub thread near the bottom called "here's two". In there are listed three or four that do sound as if they break your rules.

What do you think of those in principle from what you can read there?
lobsterboy
lobsterboy
54 posts

Jan 24, 2003, 11:47
Oh yes,

I see your point, but disagree with it. Mainly because I have found the things and know that if I wasn't looking for them I would never have known they were there.

Mostly it's just a bit of fun that harms no one and often the trash I remove on the hunt is significant. So rather than making an impact I am perhaps making a positive impact (at least it evens it out a bit).
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index