The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
John Michell lecture

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Andy Norfolk
58 posts

Re: John Michell lecture
May 06, 2016, 15:57
Eh? Did you mean me? My thoughts on what? The development of earth mysteries since 1970 to now? Quite a big topic. Or just whether or not everything that John Michell wrote was credible? Also quite big topic.

I like going to ancient sites. I enjoy being at them. Sometimes I try to work out what they are for and why they are there. Sometimes it's enough just to be with them.

Leys - yes - there have been some silly moments along the way. They have been claimed to be
1 Alignments of ancient sites
2 Traditional routes for carrying the dead
3 Maps for the flights of shamans
4 Roads used by ghosts
5 Roads of the fairies
6 Energy lines
7 Markers of astronomical events - like May Day sunrise
8 Power grids to guide and refuel UFOs
9 Lines along which the ancient Druids flew stones and communicated telepathically
10 Man-made channels of earth energy to promote fertility
11 The terrestrial nervous system
12 Atlantean power supply system
13 Manifestations of etheric substance - a map of the spiritual dimensions

Do some sites fall on intentional straight alignments? Yes of course some do. Do they all? Probably not. Do I care? Not much, so long as the ancient sites are loved and protected from idiots and enjoyed by those who want to go there and think their own thoughts about them. I have had a lot of fun looking at all the theories over the years. I've especially enjoyed Paul Devereux's repeated advance publicity for each of his books that it was the final answer to leys the universe and everything. Which they nearly were. I haven't enjoyed the petty squabbles and the nitpicking. I do still like John Michell's idea that we are living in the wreckage of a prehistoric landscape built for some extraordinary reasons.

Did John get deep into esoteric number theory that left me cold? Yes. Did I believe everything he wrote? No. Should my views on this matter to anyone else? Probably also no. What John was very good a doing was confronting people with extraordinary ideas and getting them to think want might have previously been the unthinkable. He was a visionary, but some of his visions were perhaps a bit too left-field even for me. Still I really don't care if he got a decimal place wrong in the dimensions of the Great Pyramid, or if he he got Borlase's inside leg measurement wrong by several kilometres. It's his breadth of vision and multi-disciplinary approach that always appealed to me, not his accuracy about minutiae.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index