John Michell lecture

353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: John Michell lecture
May 05, 2016, 15:43
Andy Norfolk wrote:
Some of you appear to dislike the whole concept of alignments of ancient sites, which is a touch ironic now that professional archaeologist talk about this a lot nowadays.

Andy, I really don't know where you got that from. Names? I bet there's no-one here that doesn't accept “alignments of ancient standing stones visible in the landscape” as valid. I myself have been in on the ground floor of Sandy Gerrard's work at Bancbryn which led to The Stone Rows of Great Britain https://stonerows.wordpress.com/, a fantastic production IMO.

When it comes to alignments that are NOT visible in the landscape, which depend on a belief in “energies” between them and are great distances apart, then that's different. Sandy has put together something that is a major contribution that doesn't rely on anything that can't be seen by others and for that reason no-one is calling him “visionary”, just highly competent. He's the one that should be being praised here.

(I find it ironic that the word “visionary” seems to be being used to describe people who believe in the invisible! I think “believers” would be far more appropriate. )
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index