353 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Edited May 04, 2016, 22:43
Re: John Michell lecture
May 04, 2016, 22:39
[quote="Rhiannon"]Cerrig said "The current models of history and mathematics don't account for Johns insights"

Yes it is an hilarious claim . Maybe someone should have told the historians and mathematicians .

"Some might call it stirring ."

Not me .

"
No but I thought it would be better to have some specific statements / concepts of his to discuss in 'lively debate', rather than what I see as the current more nebulous 'He was a visionary genius' vs 'He talked a load of rot'. "

I didn't just say he talked rot , I have pointed out specific examples .
Much of the rot has been covered over the years .
I assume you haven't read Michell or the criticism .

"But perhaps it's too much to hope for ie trying to mix visionary apple talk vs scientific evidence oranges. Unless of course he said particular testable things (rather like Lethbridge and his pendulum ideas)."

How about “Bladud , father of King Lear who was killed in 852 BC when his airship crashed into the Temple of Apollo in London .”

“The position with artificial mounds and sacred hills is more certain .There can be little doubt that they were the scenes of sacrifice to and landings by beings from the sky “

It's not always so funny . Listen to the lecture as mentioned in the first post in this thread , it's hilarious .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index