Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway
Nov 05, 2015, 16:02
(I had to look contiguous up in the dictionary :) ) No. very regularily spaced...those responsible either had a knowledge of geometry, a good eye or both. My initial thought when there was that it was the mapped out foundations of a cairn - but would they have done so with such precision? I discounted an eroded cairn as there is a Galloway dyke nearby of, I'm sure, similar or at least great antiquity which has stood the ravages of time very well. There is no trace of soil or rubble having been cleared or naturally moved from the site. I've subsequently veered towards discounting a cairn, completed or not, as I thought they were more 'skyline' features whereas what I've found is tucked away with an outcrop/hillock/fort at its back (E) and would as far as I could tell, had it been completed, been invisible from seawards (W) being set back from a high cliff. A site for looking up or out from, not to. If folk here know of secluded cairns then fair enough, but, like I said, no debris whatsoever. Beyond me.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index