Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway
Nov 05, 2015, 16:01
spencer wrote:
I reckon the outer ring of the three is about twenty foot or so across. As stated initially, I reckon the circumference of the inner circle, which has the most stones exposed, and what I was surprised to find at my feet, to be in the mid forty feet, comprising fifteen or sixteen stones very regularily spaced. The middle circle about four feet out from that, and the outer circle a further four feetish out. You do the math - sorry, not my forte. Without a tape measure all I could do was pace as best I could. I must confess I'd love to expose all extant stones of this 'whateveritis' as you have done down your way...someone should, imo, or at least get a load of canes and do an accurate turf prod and measure.

Sorry, I thought you meant there were two circles, an outer one and a smaller one inside of that.
On Craddock moor we have some platform cairns with an outer stone ring which would have originally been around 2ft high and flatly in-filled. On some there is a second smaller ring to the central area but over the years, they have been seriously destroyed by 'tomb-raiders' digging into them. This has resulted in them flattening out with just the stone surrounds just poking up out of the peat based soil.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index