Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway

15 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
spencer
spencer
3071 posts

Re: Help needed identifying mystery feature, and who to report finds to - Galloway
Nov 05, 2015, 15:19
Thanks for the Bearghmore suggestion. The diminutive nature of some of the visible stones noted, though, unlike there, I don't think that the stones at my fresh site have sunk into peat reducing their stature, but only excavation would confirm this. I submitted a nearby site, Crammag Head Dun, to TMA Eds in early hours and am waiting for the OK on it, I intend to submit this site under a different name as there's also an additional feature cum site for Crammag that I've yet to submit, and, besides which the name Crammag Head is not known locally. Re TMA's 'type of site' part of the adding a new site process, based on what I've written, what is your opinion the most appropriate category definition of this feature - stone circle, rock art, sacred site or something else? I must admit I'm out of my depth here. I've found two recent good quality aerial photos of Crammag Head which shows the three bank fort I've found lurking in the gorse nearby - it bears constructional similarities to Core Hill, a new site I've just added to TMA (fieldnotes to follow so Canmore it) a few miles away - and the res of one image may be good enough to show the exposed part of the adjacent circular feature on a computer screen - my smartphone isn't quite good enough for this. Should Crammag and/or these fresh sites be accepted by Eds I will set up a link to these aerial images, as they will be a good start. As stated in my reply to TMA Eds, I have tech issues with SD cards and phone memory and reinsertion of cards into my phone may cause it to crash - this has happened before. I have a backlog of fieldnotes and other fresh sites to enter and would rather get these sorted and up before uploading my images as otherwise I may end up 'net mute'. Rest assured I've got pics aplenty. Should my entries be declined I'll give you eight digit grid refs so you can have a go, and also aerial pic links. Yes, I'm keen for other more experienced eyes, such as the likes of 'locallish(?)' folk as yourself or Howburn Digger to see and form an opinion about my discoveries.. I've found further interesting things fieldwalking in the vicinity of Wren's Egg and Nest too.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index