bladup
1986 posts

Re: How is Rock Art aged?Moving On
Dec 25, 2012, 19:35
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
bladup wrote:
[quote="Sanctuary"]That's 300 posts + the binned ones so time for my next question in my quest to learn more about rock art.

The rock art in Europe...does it follow in line with ours here with regard to style/quality/type? Is it possible or likely that the same 'hand' was responsible for some here and also over there? In other words, any evidence that a bloke who carved some there did the same here?[/quot]

405 posts Roy and still going, it's now the 3rd highest on the list, great stuff.

I'm admiring the people who did it back in the mists of time and wonder if there is a particular rock somewhere that is known to have been continually 'updated' over time so that it covers many many centuries?

Achnabreck up near Kilmartin [and the wonderful Templewood with one of my favorite chambers - Nether Largie South near it, a truly amazing place with an even better feeling] has old rock art that has been "defaced" with clearly newer stuff, the older stuff even looks like it might have been quite old when it was gone over, but that's hard to prove for sure, i believe there's a hell of lot more, and it all proves that these places were important for a long long time, i believe many would have been found in forest glades, and the glades were very important for hunting [a lot of natural glades are animal mating sites as well] and also the places where the paths meet [the paths and the glades are normally long gone], and were very important long before any human hands added to the landscape.

Just thinking off the top off my head but would this possibly involve ley lines and the 'hot spots' along it (can't remember what they were called now)?

"Leylines" were something i think people called straight bits of natural faulting in the land before they realised what they were, some monuments [not all] are placed on faults [so therefore some monuments are on straight lines], faults do certainly have some straight bits but are mainly curved in a way the geology of that region would allow, but it's at the meeting [to be honest it's normally right next to them] of these faults that you find the most monuments [the faults been the very first paths, meeting at the glades, if fact making them, as trees don't like growing on metal lobes], so these could be the "hotspots" you speak of, you'll become a dowser next if you keep bloody going like that, i bet them dogs of yours are good at it.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index