tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
tiompan wrote:
bladup wrote:
Sanctuary wrote:
thesweetcheat wrote:
Lots of these patterns (particularly spirals, zig zags and chevrons) appear in the edges of message pads when people doodle while on the phone/in meetings. I'm not sure that most of the people are taking hallucinogens at work (I could be wrong), so isn't an equally plausible explanation that these are the sort of patterns people make when decorating things?

Hell of a doodle in stone eh. Can you imagine the phone bill for a three week call :-)

Ha, a lot of stone tools could have been sharpened in the process of making the rock art as well, these people did like killing two birds with one stone [3 or 4 if they could], making art and at the same time stone tools sounds good to me.

The creation of rock art tends to result in the dulling of points not sharpening .

Rubbing tools [and various other tools] need dulling before use and rock art is made in various ways, as you well know.

You mentioned sharpening .

What gets found at rock art sites in those few cases where they have been excavated is lots of smashed quartz and possible hammer stones .Nothing wrong with killing two birds with one stone but it doesn't seem that likely from from what we have found at these rock art sites that have been excavated

some tools would have clearly been made in the process, of course they would, it makes the time spent doing the art more worthwhile and is just common sense.

Maybe the tools used were seen as "holy ". Seriously ,where are these tools ? We have found the discarded tools that did some of the engraving .

"We have found the discarded tools that did some of the engraving" there of course.

But they were simply used for the job then dumped at the site ,they had no other use .

How do you know this?

I've seen them , and know what a used engraving stone looks like whether used with direct or indirect percussion . If you are suggesting that they might have had another use then why are they found at the site and not elsewhere and and why not accompanied by other tools ? ,it's the most obvious conclusion .

but they may have had another use on site, you don't know they didn't.

Has anyone any actual experience of stone engraving? It was hardly a ride in the park I shouldn't think!

I helped Andy Mcfetters a bit with one of his commisions and did a few other things in the garden , it's not particularly difficult , about 10 minutes for a cup ,I'm sure if you were used to it you could do it quickly . According to Andy doing a over four rings is not so easy more skill required for that . that's just the physical side .

What tools did you use George, stone?

Oh yes , had to be . Anything that is harder than the surface . Quartz is odd in that it leaves a white dust in the engravings but it does clog things up so you have to get rid of it to continue .
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index