412 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Dec 16, 2012, 23:21
Re: How is Rock Art aged?
Dec 16, 2012, 23:14
It's more about the experiences at the stones [in normal and altered states] and the knowledge gained from visiting 1000's of rock art sites [plus all the knowledge from past lives], it's a accumulative knowledge over years and years, it's hard to teach because of that, but i've got 1000's of examples in my mind of various things at rock art sites that show something thats still in the landscape, there's a rock art site on Ilkley moor that clearly shows the line of cairns, ringcairns and the 12 Apostles stone circle on the moor, it's unmistakeable once you understand the monuments there, the ringcairns are shown by circles, the cairns by a simple cup [this is one of the problems, because simple cups can mean other things to do with water as well, a lot of the art has more than one meaning] but the 12 Apostles shows the embankment in a circle but on the inside show the stones in the circle, a lot of bronze age forts with their huts are marked on rocks in Northumberland, loads that show local watercourses and places to obtain clean water, but we've been here before and i can't believe george [and other rock art people] know so little about them even though they've probably been to the most, that means it's the hallucinogens that lets you understand a lot more, a lot of the art is what people actually see on the substances on the stones themselves, when they've done tests in labs all the patterns you see in the chambered cairns are all drawn and reported by the people on the substances, it's one of those things that if you've done it you'd know what i'm on about and if you haven't you may not [unless you've done it in a past life].
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index