Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 18:36
thesweetcheat wrote:
postman wrote:
... they just pulled me in, and now there's no way out other than to see it through.

Ain't that the truth.

Well the postman is the wisest of them all [postmen i mean].
Lubin
Lubin
509 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 19:31
Down Tor/Hingston Hill Row in 1962, when I was 13, as I used to camp on Dartmoor, at Dean Combe, sometimes even sleeping in the potato caves, a lot during that summer and we went walking from there every day. I didn't know what it was but remember being fascinated enough by it to try an find out what it was.

Avebury was my second in 1963 when I was on a summer camp nearby and we walked there. I was a bit more aware of things then as I had done some research after seeing the row the year before.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 19:49
Sep 21, 2012, 19:47
Lubin wrote:
Down Tor/Hingston Hill Row in 1962, when I was 13, as I used to camp on Dartmoor, at Dean Combe, sometimes even sleeping in the potato caves, a lot during that summer and we went walking from there every day. I didn't know what it was but remember being fascinated enough by it to try an find out what it was.

Avebury was my second in 1963 when I was on a summer camp nearby and we walked there. I was a bit more aware of things then as I had done some research after seeing the row the year before.

Thanks, I love Down tor, and there's nowhere better in england to get away from everything for a few weeks than dartmoor, it's lucky [ with all the people ] that there's places we can go and still not see another soul for days.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 20:31
He he!

It was a fair while ago, so I can't remember. But we were low paid and money was tight, so we must have been planning it for quite a while to save the money - probably more than a month, but maybe not.
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 20:33
What a brilliant first place to go to. Down Tor is brilliant isn't it? The skies and empty moor seem to go on forever, except the moor isn't really empty at all, but crammed with goodies. Nice.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 20:40
I'd never knowingly been to any prehistoric site before I was given a copy of TMA. I devoured the essays at the front, and read the gazetteer with some interest. As luck would have it, a couple of months later, I was lucky enough to go on a camping holiday in Cornwall.

I went to quite a few sites there. I think the first was Men-an-tol.

I'd love to go back there some time. The tip of Cornwall is so beautiful.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 20:59
thesweetcheat wrote:
He he!

It was a fair while ago, so I can't remember. But we were low paid and money was tight, so we must have been planning it for quite a while to save the money - probably more than a month, but maybe not.

Cheers your a star!!!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 21:06
Sep 21, 2012, 21:05
PMM wrote:
I'd never knowingly been to any prehistoric site before I was given a copy of TMA. I devoured the essays at the front, and read the gazetteer with some interest. As luck would have it, a couple of months later, I was lucky enough to go on a camping holiday in Cornwall.

I went to quite a few sites there. I think the first was Men-an-tol.

I'd love to go back there some time. The tip of Cornwall is so beautiful.

Thanks, i feel very lucky to live down here [the tip of cornwall], it is beautiful, i can leave my front door and any way i choose to go leads to lots of beautiful places, which is good because i don't/can't drive.
PMM
PMM
3155 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 21:17
We stayed in a place called Levant. Travelled overnight and got to the north coast somewhere a little further east as the sun came up.

The sea was blue.

No. The sea was BLUE. It was sea with the contrast turned upto the max. Here on the banks of the Irish Sea, I'm used to a sea that's a drab dull grey, and that's on a sunny day.

At night, we went walking. In the sky there were stars. Hardly any orange glow. Just clear all the way to the edge of the universe.

The landscape was rugged, barren. Almost a monoculture. Just rock and grass and gorse. Hardly a tree to speak of. You could see the shape of the earth beneath it. Almost a wilderness to us city dwellers.

And just to put the cherry on top, it was my holiday with a woman who I fell deeply in love with, and eventually married.

Going all misty eyed here. Perhaps next year we will make it down there.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 21:26
PMM wrote:
We stayed in a place called Levant. Travelled overnight and got to the north coast somewhere a little further east as the sun came up.

The sea was blue.

No. The sea was BLUE. It was sea with the contrast turned upto the max. Here on the banks of the Irish Sea, I'm used to a sea that's a drab dull grey, and that's on a sunny day.

At night, we went walking. In the sky there were stars. Hardly any orange glow. Just clear all the way to the edge of the universe.

The landscape was rugged, barren. Almost a monoculture. Just rock and grass and gorse. Hardly a tree to speak of. You could see the shape of the earth beneath it. Almost a wilderness to us city dwellers.

And just to put the cherry on top, it was my holiday with a woman who I fell deeply in love with, and eventually married.

Going all misty eyed here. Perhaps next year we will make it down there.

Nice story, nicely written, i hope you do make it down!!!
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 15 6 7 8 9 10 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index