Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 28, 2012, 12:42
CARL wrote:
It wasn't my first site but it is without doubt one of my best sites. The setting is just fantastic.

It's as good as it gets!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:30
I've been thinking about this and lincoln castle is meant to be an iron age fort [although late bronze age pots have been found in the lawn right next to the castle], so this may make the origins of the castle late bronze age, so i suppose technically this is the first prehistric site i visited, this is a lot harder than i though, it started off as hetty peger's tump and nympsfield, then became carnac [ even though i was young and never got out the van ] and now it's suddenly become my home town castle because it is supposed to be built on an iron age fort with a late bronze age site right next to it, sorry to everyone for what i thought was an easy question but clearly isn't as easy a question as i thought it was!!!
Kid Calamity
9048 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:35
Hmmm... Probably Rollright Stones, in the rain with Fifi, circa 1982.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 14:41
Kid Calamity wrote:
Hmmm... Probably Rollright Stones, in the rain with Fifi, circa 1982.

It's hard to remember isn't it?
GLADMAN
950 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 22:40
Guess mine was Avebury back in the early 80's. Clearly didn't make that much of an impression since it took the high Welsh cairns to tune me into ancient sites. Don't get me wrong... great site. But - for me - no vibe.
AngieLake
16 posts

Sep 28, 2012, 23:46
Hi bladup

The first site I remember was Grey Wethers, which I visited not long after we moved to the other end of Devon in around 1978/9. Dartmoor in winter was a great place to go for a long walk with kids in those days... maybe they'd not be as interested now with modern distractions!
(Our real 'first site' was Cow Castle on Exmoor, when we lived in N. Devon, but am not sure if it has the sort of 'extant' remains you meant.)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 29, 2012, 01:13
AngieLake wrote:
Hi bladup

The first site I remember was Grey Wethers, which I visited not long after we moved to the other end of Devon in around 1978/9. Dartmoor in winter was a great place to go for a long walk with kids in those days... maybe they'd not be as interested now with modern distractions!
(Our real 'first site' was Cow Castle on Exmoor, when we lived in N. Devon, but am not sure if it has the sort of 'extant' remains you meant.)

Hi, thanks and yes cow castle would fit great, i've been to it and it's a little fort/settlement in a lovely setting with the surrounding hills [ which is unusual for a fort ], it's always stayed in my head strongly, and the grey wethers are great, that bit of land with the grey wethers, fernworthy, shovel down up to scorhill and up to white moor down is one of my favorite bits of land in the whole country.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 29, 2012, 01:15
Thanks.
Garn
10 posts

Oct 06, 2012, 12:40
I think my first known visit to a site would be the Gwernvale Long barrow near Crickhowell.. Was driven past it everyday on the way to school!

Not much left there really but the information plaque thing stoked an interest for sure!

Before that it was only summit cairns while walking with family/cubs/scouts...

(First one was probably the cairn on Mynydd Carn-y-cefn above the old mining towns of Blaina and Ebbw Vale)

To be honest I don't think I've been to one percent as many sites as some of you!
GLADMAN
950 posts

Oct 06, 2012, 12:54
Garn wrote:
I think my first known visit to a site would be the Gwernvale Long barrow near Crickhowell.. Was driven past it everyday on the way to school!

Not much left there really but the information plaque thing stoked an interest for sure!

Before that it was only summit cairns while walking with family/cubs/scouts...

(First one was probably the cairn on Mynydd Carn-y-cefn above the old mining towns of Blaina and Ebbw Vale)

To be honest I don't think I've been to one percent as many sites as some of you!

Ah, we have another Citizen Cairn'd in the fold. A Welsh one at that.

There a more of us a'coming... adding their voice. The Mam C will be pleased.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index