Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 12:42
nigelswift wrote:
Ist Jan 2000 - I saw Silbury for the first time and then went to Stonehenge (where the visitor centre was squalid, the whole place was covered in litter left by prats and it was closed for half a day for the big clean-up). So that was Wow and Jesus wept what lousy stewardship all in one day, and so it has gone on.

Thanks Nigel, it's always the good and the bad [ both together ] at stonehenge it seems!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 12:44
ocifant wrote:
Almost certainly Stonehenge as a schoolchild on a school trip.

I saw a proof copy of the paper TMA shortly before publication, then bought a copy. I note from my Weblogs here that I only started writing up my travels in January 2003 "having visited a lot of sites the previous year", so I don't have a record of what my first site as an enlightened visitor actually was.

Probably the Avebury area though...

I bet that proof copy would be worth something now, thanks for the answer.
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 12:49
http://www.themodernantiquarian.com/site/2634/balgarthno.html
1962 , 200m from our house .
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 12:55
Waden Hill one windy morning looking out towards West Kennet Long Barrow. The barrow was there but they hadn’t started on Silbury yet... I’ve said that before somewhere...
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 13:04
Littlestone wrote:
Waden Hill one windy morning looking out towards West Kennet Long Barrow. The barrow was there but they hadn’t started on Silbury yet... I’ve said that before somewhere...

You're going back a bit!!!
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 13:09
tiompan wrote:

I'd say i bet that was nice having a stone circle so close, until i looked at the pictures [i haven't visited- it's on my still to do list], and then thought it must be horrible seeing it slowly destroyed in front of your very eyes, it breaks my heart that something that has stood there for 4500 years can be shown such little respect.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 13:43
bladup wrote:
What's the first site with extant remains you ever visited? and if not a stone circle which stone circle as well?, i'm interested because the nine ladies of stanton moor and boscawen un often seem the stone circles a lot of people visited first, and i wondered if this would be backed up on here, and to find out which chambered cairn is the first on peoples list, mines hetty petlars tump [ first site ever ] and the stone circle is boscawen un on a trip to cornwall to see the total eclipse in cornwall in august 1999. Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate your answers, paul.

First circle - Kings Men, Rollright stones, 1991

First chambered LB - Waylands Smithy whilst walking the ridgeway aged 17, so 1990.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 14:07
Sep 21, 2012, 14:05
That was a good start.
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 14:10
Sep 21, 2012, 14:08
drewbhoy wrote:
That was a good start.

I would have visited the Sanctuary if I knew anything at all about these places then. It was right behind me as we started the walk!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 14:09
I was 8, went to Strichen, Aikey Brae and Auchnagorth on the same day with my dad.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index