Re: The first site you ever visited.
Sep 21, 2012, 14:25
drewbhoy wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
Strichen RSC, 1973.

How old were y.. ;)

Nah, yr no Grump Mr D, im sure.

I was 8 and I'm never grumpy and very very very clever sometimes :-)

I'm sure!

I was nearly a gone-r once on a visit to your beautiful country. Slipped over at Hill o' many stanes, went down like a bag of sh..potatoes, a proper whack, the kind that leaves you jarred and out of it for about 30 secs after, my head about 3mm from one of the 'many stanes'!
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2559 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 14:27
Which Hill of Many Stones was that, the one near Rhynie?
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 14:27
drewbhoy wrote:

The 'famous' one.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 14:28
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:
Strichen RSC, 1973.

How old were y.. ;)

Nah, yr no Grump Mr D, im sure.

I was 8 and I'm never grumpy and very very very clever sometimes :-)

I'm sure!

I was nearly a gone-r once on a visit to your beautiful country. Slipped over at Hill o' many stanes, went down like a bag of sh..potatoes, a proper whack, the kind that leaves you jarred and out of it for about 30 secs after, my head about 3mm from one of the 'many stanes'!

There's that many stones there it's hard not to fall over one!!!
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 14:28
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

The 'famous' one.

And not just for the pic of Dorian. ;)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 14:34
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
Evergreen Dazed wrote:
drewbhoy wrote:

The 'famous' one.

And not just for the pic of Dorian. ;)

Ha ha!
texlahoma
texlahoma
891 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 16:27
bladup wrote:
What's the first site with extant remains you ever visited? and if not a stone circle which stone circle as well?, i'm interested because the nine ladies of stanton moor and boscawen un often seem the stone circles a lot of people visited first, and i wondered if this would be backed up on here, and to find out which chambered cairn is the first on peoples list, mines hetty petlars tump [ first site ever ] and the stone circle is boscawen un on a trip to cornwall to see the total eclipse in cornwall in august 1999. Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate your answers, paul.

Mine would have been Stonehenge around 1978 but didn't get really into this area until I moved to Dorset in the late 90s, and then it was the Nine Stones of Winterbourne Abbas that I first fell in love with.
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 16:35
Sep 21, 2012, 16:30
texlahoma wrote:
bladup wrote:
What's the first site with extant remains you ever visited? and if not a stone circle which stone circle as well?, i'm interested because the nine ladies of stanton moor and boscawen un often seem the stone circles a lot of people visited first, and i wondered if this would be backed up on here, and to find out which chambered cairn is the first on peoples list, mines hetty petlars tump [ first site ever ] and the stone circle is boscawen un on a trip to cornwall to see the total eclipse in cornwall in august 1999. Thanks for reading, I'd appreciate your answers, paul.

Mine would have been Stonehenge around 1978 but didn't get really into this area until I moved to Dorset in the late 90s, and then it was the Nine Stones of Winterbourne Abbas that I first fell in love with.

Good old nine stones eh, whats not to fall in love with there, and it's good to see that love affair continues to this day, thanks for the answer mr, you are a breath of fresh air when you pop up on here.
scubi63
463 posts

Sep 21, 2012, 16:47
The very first place that I remember seeing and now know to be prehistoric (but didn't at the time) was Silbury and then Avebury. I was on a coach on the way to watch Swindon play (Blackpool I think but I am likely to be wrong) as my elder brother had dragged me along in a vain attempt to get me to like football. I think I was probably about 8 or 9 so that would be about 1971/1972.
However my first 'hands on' visit was a part of my GCE Archaeology course in 1979 while at college in Chippenham when we first visited Lanhill then Lugbury longbarrows. I must say they made quite an impression on me that has never waned.

:o)
bladup
bladup
1986 posts

Edited Sep 21, 2012, 17:08
Sep 21, 2012, 17:01
scubi63 wrote:
The very first place that I remember seeing and now know to be prehistoric (but didn't at the time) was Silbury and then Avebury. I was on a coach on the way to watch Swindon play (Blackpool I think but I am likely to be wrong) as my elder brother had dragged me along in a vain attempt to get me to like football. I think I was probably about 8 or 9 so that would be about 1971/1972.
However my first 'hands on' visit was a part of my GCE Archaeology course in 1979 while at college in Chippenham when we first visited Lanhill then Lugbury longbarrows. I must say they made quite an impression on me that has never waned.

:o)

A lot of people have avebury near the top of their list, i wonder if this is about the power of the place or the fact it's got a bloody road running though the middle of it? thanks for the answer.
Pages: 15 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index