259 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Evergreen Dazed
1881 posts

Re: Detailed pictures
Sep 14, 2012, 16:42
bladup wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:
I think you're being too hasty. I think the carvers would have (possibly) had a more close relationship with time than us because they'd have necessarily have had to be aware of cyclical changes with the seasons - it'd have affected where they could find their food and what food they could eat. And imagine how darkness would curtail your goings-about when you couldn't flick a light switch on.

So if they were carving the symbols / shapes over an extended period of time, that might make a lot of sense, connecting one cycle to another. Maybe if you were nomadic, only passing a particular outcrop once every year, then you would indeed add to it (casually or in some important ritual) every year, to mark that you'd been there. Or whatever.

Does that not sound feasible?

There life span was so short, they would have been to busy living day to day, that's the beauty of what i'm saying, the regional maps WOULD/COULD help them day to day, if the landscapes are still natural i can still use them [the panels], this knowledge comes from within me, it's not from books, people were still moving around a little bit more in these landscapes than a lot of you seem to think, not everyone started farming, in the same way we're not all farmers now.

bladup, I know ive asked before, but any chance of a photo of a panel and marked map so we can see exactly what you mean?

It'd help a great deal.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index