Topic View: Flat | Threaded
BigSweetie
BigSweetie
806 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 06, 2011, 10:05
moss wrote:
Ghosts.. Do they exist?

out of the fog came a figure completely fitted out in a Scottish outfit, even to a funny 'cockaded' hat he passed and just said good morning, and that was it; was it a ghost I don't know...

a man strangely dressed in 19th century clothes with gartered legs and a bag walking along the lane

A few months ago I saw a man dressed in full Napoleonic uniform cycling down Prestonpans High Street in broad daylight.

Sometimes there is an explanation for the seemingly inexplicable.
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 10:18
moss wrote:
Ghosts.. Do they exist?

Coincidentally, this was posted by Professor Brian Cox on Twitter yesterday, and it may be of some assistance with that question:

"@profbriancox Here is my official statement, which also has the benefit of being a fact. There are no ghosts, so it would be silly to believe in them"

;)

G x
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 10:55
goffik wrote:
"@profbriancox Here is my official statement, which also has the benefit of being a fact. There are no ghosts, so it would be silly to believe in them"

Good bloke. Excellent hair too. (Prof Cox I mean Goff).

BTW I'm happy to spend the night alone at any of the places mentioned providing I'm allowed a twelve bore shotgun with a bayonet on it. (They don't like it up 'em these ghosts, even the ones that say they are exempt from the laws of physics.)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 11:18
goffik wrote:
moss wrote:
Ghosts.. Do they exist?

Coincidentally, this was posted by Professor Brian Cox on Twitter yesterday, and it may be of some assistance with that question:

;)

G x

Sadly you and Prof. Brian Cox are not sensitive enough to pick up anything that might be construed as 'otherwordly!!. ;)

Actually I forgot my original story, about 'unexplained uneasy feeling'... It happened in Essex when my parents were looking for house, we went to look at a large old house (plaster and lathe) in what seemed like a field. I went in and immediately felt something bad in the hall which had a gallery in the central part and I just got out. Later it transpired that someone had hung themselves from the gallery bannisters, so are you and Nigel against bad 'vibes' which quite a few people feel.... or is it the 'entropic' thing that Wideford has spoken off?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 11:31
"bad 'vibes'"

Personally I suspect saying one experiences bad vibes is akin to a violin saying it is being vibrated by the air!

;)
Resonox
604 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 12:27
moss wrote:
Sadly you and Prof. Brian Cox are not sensitive enough to pick up anything that might be construed as 'otherwordly!!. ;
Will any explanation be forthcoming as to why some people are "more sensitive" than others.Is there something in the genetic make-up of some individuals which makes them more "in tune"?....There are the constant reminders that we share X amount of our DNA with chimpanzees, pigs , dolphins and even brocoli.....so it baffles me why there aren't a lot more sensitives about.
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 13:29
"Will any explanation be forthcoming as to why some people are "more sensitive" than others;"

Nope, because there are more single track minded sceptics out there than there are people who pick up stuff on the airwaves - ghostly or otherwise! ;)
Even the brilliant Brian Cox can't explain everything....
Resonox
604 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 13:48
No its very true not everything can be explained so it shouldn't be accepted as a fact on the basis of "just because"...similarly it shouldn't be dismissed out of hand for the same reasons. It all tends to start getting into the "Religious dogma elitist" area....when no-one tries to explain and puts others down just because they don't have that blind faith/understanding/ability(in this case sensitivity) I'm not trying to come on all one-sided(though I think it looks like it)but surely it isn't all down to scepticism/fear of the unknown that prevents all humans from possessing the same sensitivities that some possess in fact or claim to possess to make out they are something they aren't. Is that fear really so deep rooted in the human psyche?
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 14:01
taryn torhill wrote:
That is so odd....you are describing the exact same thing that happened to me near the town of Sneem in Kerry......this time there were two of us and neither of us could move an inch past the gateway to a "fairy hill" near the river. I have been visiting sites all my life and this has never happened before or since. It's almost as though something didn't want us there....

Yes that was my feeling exactly TT. I've given much more thought to my experience since I started the thread but there is little more I can really add to it. It's wonderful reading everyone elses stories which just convinces me more and that there are things out there that are real but certainly not reachable in a physical sense. You know, us humans do still retain, I believe, a danger 'awareness' that they say we have lost but animals still have. Backing away like I did I feel was the correct thing to do..not that I had much choice I felt at the time and of course my dogs felt the same way about it and remained uneasy for some hours afterwards. Good discussion and I thank you all for joining in.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 14:59
I'm a firm believer that everything has an explanation... even if we aren't advanced enough mentally to know what it is yet.

Yup, agree with you there – we only have to look at technological developments over the last hundred years or so to see that in action. The fact that we can stand on a hillside somewhere in Britain and, with a little mobile gizmo in our ear, talk to someone on the other side of the planet is pretty amazing. Who’s to say what developments will be commonplace in a hundred years from now, let alone a thousand... if we’re still around.

I believe that if it occurs on this planet it must be of this planet...

Not sure I entirely agree with that. Quantum physics is way beyond me but listening to those who’ve got a handle on it, and their talk of (eleven?) dimensions, kinda puts everything into the ‘anything goes from anywhere’ basket... including ghosts (for want of a better word ;-)
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index