The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Unexplained uneasy feeling

Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Re: Unexplained uneasy feeling
Jul 06, 2011, 15:46
I've been reading a book recently, and it talks about invisible, unhearable, unsmellable, untouchable vibrations that travel through the air. And they don't even have to have air to travel through, they can even travel through Space. That's pretty weird in itself. And these vibrations, when they hit a conducting object - like a bit of metal (any bit of metal that is, a drain cover, a car, a pair of scissors, whatever, maybe even you because you're a teeny bit conductive yourself) they set up a tiny voltage in that object, vibrating at the same rate as the wave (I think. As I understand it anyway). That's happening all the time to all the stuff round you right now.

Of course, if the object's a radio reciever then you can turn that tiny voltage into some music or whatever, I'm talking about radio waves.

I'm not saying everything Woo is real. But it's true to say that lots of things we Do understand scientifically are pretty peculiar when you think about them, and 'ordinary' things aren't necessarily things that are intuitively graspable without a bit of scientific underthought. I literally had no idea how a radio worked before the other day (and yes I'm still a bit hazy without my book, it's true).

So if you have a weird feeling at a site, I mean you're definitely having it aren't you, people aren't disputing that. Though where that emanates from, that's a rather tricky question. Often it could be to do with weather or pre=existing mood or too many cheese biscuits even. But sometimes, sometimes couldn't it be you picking up on something we don't properly understand? You never know do you. We don't know everything yet.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 17:03
"So if you have a weird feeling at a site, I mean you're definitely having it aren't you....."

Yes, you must be, as you're having it.

On the other hand, to jump from "I'm reacting psychologically to the essence of this place" to "this place is sending out otherwise unknown and imperceptible waves that I'm picking up on" needs more than merely saying it to be convincing.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Jul 06, 2011, 18:49
Jul 06, 2011, 17:44
Yes, you must be, as you're having it.

Not necessarily, as that presupposes, and accepts, the notion of ‘you’ and ‘it’.

“It would be, of course, much better, if this occasion were celebrated with no talk at all... I should hit the microphone with my fan and leave.”

Alan Watts (1915-1973)

:-)
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 17:54
Oh yes, obvious it's unlikely, I give you that :)

And I know it's obvious to say you know you're feeling weird because you're doing the feeling weird. But we're complicated creatures and half the time we haven't got a clue what's triggering the feeling, it's just the conscious end product of subconscious things like air pressure, cheese biscuits, whatever. So to try and tease out something even more obscure that could be affecting us.. it's a bit much really. All you have is that weird feeling. It's not much use for a scientific test because it doesn't give you much idea about what varieties of Thing you should be looking at and trying to correlate with your sensation.

My mum's got tinnitus, it drives her mad sometimes. But sometime it's better than other times, it can be ok for ages. She's always trying to correlate it to something environmental. No luck really as yet. Maybe it really is random. Or depends on something quite variable internally. I think it helps her to try and pin it on things. I'm not sure.
Resonox
604 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 18:15
Rhiannon wrote:

And I know it's obvious to say you know you're feeling weird because you're doing the feeling weird. But we're complicated creatures and half the time we haven't got a clue what's triggering the feeling, it's just the conscious end product of subconscious things like air pressure, cheese biscuits, whatever. So to try and tease out something even more obscure that could be affecting us.. it's a bit much really. All you have is that weird feeling. It's not much use for a scientific test because it doesn't give you much idea about what varieties of Thing you should be looking at and trying to correlate with your sensation.

My mum's got tinnitus, it drives her mad sometimes. But sometime it's better than other times, it can be ok for ages. She's always trying to correlate it to something environmental. No luck really as yet. Maybe it really is random. Or depends on something quite variable internally. I think it helps her to try and pin it on things. I'm not sure.

Where we can put this into a concept we can all relate to...is when we have a tune pop into our head(not even a tune you like) for no apparent reason....maybe this song is being transmitted on a radio station somewhere...but why isn't everyone(or at least a few others) having this self same tune buzzing around their synapses(maybe they are but its not ideal conversation..."Excuse me I hear Remember You're A Womble, for no reason...do you?"..a guaranteed way to get people to walk away as fast as possible I'd imagine!..lol).
I don't subscribe to the "on this planet of this planet" idea....Sunlight for example is not of the planet but definitely OFF this planet in its origin...but is essential for all growth ON the planet...bit OT but you get my drift.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 19:21
Rhiannon wrote:

I agree with this .. my own little anecdote about my 'odd' mood when I first visited Stoney Littleton could have been attributed to several external factors, all personal to myself. I won't go into all of them here, I've already mentioned suffering from claustrophobia. When I thought about it later (and forgive me for personalising it) I remembered I had nightmares as a young child about being buried alive (stemming I think from something I saw on tv) so it stands to reason that going inside such a confined space as Stoney Littleton might trigger these long forgotten childish fears.

Maybe we should divert this thread to 'when were you most physically uncomfortable at an ancient site'. Mine would definitely be visiting Sunkenkirk back in May this year. The (walking) friend I was holidaying with decided we should do a five mile hike first - led me into a bog, hemmed in by barbed wire so we had to retace our steps through the bog. Feet soaking wet, I was determined to get to the stone circle - by the time we got there I was wet, cold, hungry and dying for a wee. A wonderful place though and worth all the discomfort.
drewbhoy
drewbhoy
2557 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 21:33
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

I agree with this .. my own little anecdote about my 'odd' mood when I first visited Stoney Littleton could have been attributed to several external factors, all personal to myself. I won't go into all of them here, I've already mentioned suffering from claustrophobia. When I thought about it later (and forgive me for personalising it) I remembered I had nightmares as a young child about being buried alive (stemming I think from something I saw on tv) so it stands to reason that going inside such a confined space as Stoney Littleton might trigger these long forgotten childish fears.

Maybe we should divert this thread to 'when were you most physically uncomfortable at an ancient site'. Mine would definitely be visiting Sunkenkirk back in May this year. The (walking) friend I was holidaying with decided we should do a five mile hike first - led me into a bog, hemmed in by barbed wire so we had to retace our steps through the bog. Feet soaking wet, I was determined to get to the stone circle - by the time we got there I was wet, cold, hungry and dying for a wee. A wonderful place though and worth all the discomfort.

After reading that I was relieved as well. Better just to have wet feet.
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 21:47
drewbhoy wrote:
tjj wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

After reading that I was relieved as well. Better just to have wet feet.

LOL! Lady-like decorum prevents me from adding any more details.
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 21:59
tjj wrote:

by the time we got there I was wet, cold, hungry and dying for a wee.

Dying for a wee what June....a dram? :D
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Jul 06, 2011, 22:21
Sanctuary wrote:
tjj wrote:

by the time we got there I was wet, cold, hungry and dying for a wee.

Dying for a wee what June....a dram? :D

A wee dram would have been very acceptable on that occasion Roy ... and sorry for lowering the tone.
Pages: 17 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index