The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Highlight of 2010

40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
The Eternal
924 posts

Re: Highlight of 2010
Dec 24, 2010, 00:57
My highlight was reaching the Burnmoor circles from Wasdale. I've been there many times, but this time was special. Camping and roughing it was the order of the day.

We had set off from Great Langdale, after sleping rough in a barn after a hard night's drinking in the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel.

It pissed down all the way to Wasdale, where we enjoyed the hospitality of the campsite opposite the Wadale Head Hotel, and the bar, and still it was raining. Next morning it was still raining, and we went to Boot in Eskdale, via Burnmoor, and it's ubiquitous bogs.

The cloud was down to the valley, and our route was a dismal affair. Laden with our heavy rucksacks, though still in good spirits, we ploughed on through the gathering gloom, and navigated to the stark, and haunting, Burnmoor Lodge, a house in the middle of nowhere, with no road for four miles. The less said about the time we spent there the better, but lets just say we've all been happier elsewhere. It has an overpowering atmosphere, which is a bit unsettling.

We arrived at the Burnmoor complex of stone circles through heavy cloud, which persisted until the final minute, when it cleared. My four companions, three or whom had never been there before, were incredulous.

They, and me, in the prevailing conditions couldn't believe it, as we could see, through the clearing, sun in the west. Our hearts revived, and we sat on the stones marvelling at their situation.

We had been tired and feeling a bit down until this moment. The site got us all talking about the reason for the circles and their position, and much discussion took place, as did much silent contemplation.

Finally, we left, and set off down to Boot in Eskdale. I remember walking into the gloaming, lust as the clouds closed in once more. As we pitched our tents in the valley the rains set in again, and didn't stop until we crested the ridge into Great Langdale the next day.

As for my time over those days, and with the company, well, I wish I could have it all again. Especially that time at the Burnmoor circles.

I suppose you had to be there,
TE.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index