40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Re: Highlight of 2010
Dec 23, 2010, 12:18
CARL wrote:
I know I am slightly early on this but looking back, what was your 'highlight' site visit of 2010? This could be a famous site you have always wanted to visit or a small site which turned out to be a 'wow' visit?

To start things off I would say my highlight (although I have had lots of them this year) would probably by my visit to Men-An-Tol in Cornwall.
This is because I have seen so many photos and read so much about it over the years, it was great to actually visit the stones.
And yes, I did crawl through the stone - a must!

As this is probably my last post of the year can I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. See you in 2011.

Well not surprisingly mine was yet another visit to Avebury, but this time to show a friend around who had never been there before. I've mentioned before that I've always been a 'loner' when it comes to site visits as I don't like being distracted from my research and private thoughts and the vibes I get. Things are changing now that I am getting older and these days I like to have a travelling companion with me to share the experience with.
Anyway it was an absolute pleasure to take my mate around and explain things to him as I saw them. He had only ever been to that 'other place' (Stonehenge!) before but felt unwelcome there due to the restrictions, but felt, as we all do, that sense of freedom one gets at Avebury. We walked for miles and he was in complete awe of the place and its builders and that gave me more satisfaction than anything else this year seeing how a grown man suddenly realised what he had been missing all his life.

I also would like to take the opportunity to wish all TMA'ers a Happy Xmas and a prosperous and healthy New Year. Happy hunting.
Roy
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index