The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Highlight of 2010

Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
CARL
511 posts

Highlight of 2010
Dec 23, 2010, 11:55
I know I am slightly early on this but looking back, what was your 'highlight' site visit of 2010? This could be a famous site you have always wanted to visit or a small site which turned out to be a 'wow' visit?

To start things off I would say my highlight (although I have had lots of them this year) would probably by my visit to Men-An-Tol in Cornwall.
This is because I have seen so many photos and read so much about it over the years, it was great to actually visit the stones.
And yes, I did crawl through the stone - a must!

As this is probably my last post of the year can I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. See you in 2011.
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Re: Highlight of 2010
Dec 23, 2010, 12:16
The Inca constructions we saw in Peru in September thrilled me.

The Nazca lines just blew me away - I'd waited 30 years to see them. http://www.janetomlinson.com/nazca-lines/
The hummingbird is the most beautiful example of earth art I've ever seen.

And it's impossible not be wowed by Machu Picchu
http://www.janetomlinson.com/machu-picchu-magic/

But my most unexpected stoney pleasure was the jaw-dropping perfection of the great walls at Saqsayhuaman near Cusco:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacsaywaman
ocifant
ocifant
1758 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 12:17
Heritage Action (yep, them again!) have asked a similar question on their Facebook Page for those that are on Facebook.

See http://www.facebook.com/pages/Heritage-Action/113789751997305

For myself, I haven't got out half as much as I'd have liked to this year. The trips I have had out have been to Cornwall and Avebury. And yes, Boscawen-Un always comes top of my list...
Sanctuary
Sanctuary
4670 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 12:18
CARL wrote:
I know I am slightly early on this but looking back, what was your 'highlight' site visit of 2010? This could be a famous site you have always wanted to visit or a small site which turned out to be a 'wow' visit?

To start things off I would say my highlight (although I have had lots of them this year) would probably by my visit to Men-An-Tol in Cornwall.
This is because I have seen so many photos and read so much about it over the years, it was great to actually visit the stones.
And yes, I did crawl through the stone - a must!

As this is probably my last post of the year can I wish you all a Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year. See you in 2011.

Well not surprisingly mine was yet another visit to Avebury, but this time to show a friend around who had never been there before. I've mentioned before that I've always been a 'loner' when it comes to site visits as I don't like being distracted from my research and private thoughts and the vibes I get. Things are changing now that I am getting older and these days I like to have a travelling companion with me to share the experience with.
Anyway it was an absolute pleasure to take my mate around and explain things to him as I saw them. He had only ever been to that 'other place' (Stonehenge!) before but felt unwelcome there due to the restrictions, but felt, as we all do, that sense of freedom one gets at Avebury. We walked for miles and he was in complete awe of the place and its builders and that gave me more satisfaction than anything else this year seeing how a grown man suddenly realised what he had been missing all his life.

I also would like to take the opportunity to wish all TMA'ers a Happy Xmas and a prosperous and healthy New Year. Happy hunting.
Roy
goffik
goffik
3926 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 12:34
I drove past Rempstone sometime earlier this year.

I think that's about it! ;)

Not true - I went to Avebury a few times - always a pleasure...

Bit of a megalithically sparse year for me though, for one reason or another. Have to make up for it in spades in 2011! :)

G x
moss
moss
2897 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 13:00
ocifant wrote:
Heritage Action (yep, them again!) have asked a similar question on their Facebook Page for those that are on Facebook.

For myself, I haven't got out half as much as I'd have liked to this year. The trips I have had out have been to Cornwall and Avebury. And yes, Boscawen-Un always comes top of my list...

Well I know Juamei's highlight of the year, but those christening piccies are gorgeous ;)

My big highlight of the year, was probably going over the Nork Yorks moor in the first lot of snow by bus a couple of weeks ago after the moor roads had been shut for a few days.... Freezing cold, great snowdrifts but absolutely perfect scenery, especially Dalby Forest ...

A Happy Christmas to everyone and a Megalithic visiting New Year! xxx
tjj
tjj
3606 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2010, 17:20
Dec 23, 2010, 13:45
Have had a great megalithic summer, a new walking friend (with car) who just happened to love and know the Cotswolds really well - we managed to visit most of the long barrows in the Cotswolds on our walks.

Lots of 'firsts' - Stanton Drew, Stanton Harcourt (red kites), Stonehenge (inside the fence) - the highlight has to be Boscawen-Un in April. A wonderful afternoon, definitely the highlight of my week in west Cornwall - probably the year.

Peace and goodwill to all.
gjrk
370 posts

Dec 23, 2010, 13:46
Light years behind ye all, being from the bog, but Avebury in Megameet/August was a 'wow!' - especially those extending stones of the Cove and Silbury hill.

Even 'Snorehenge' was spectacular ;)

Hi to everyone I met there; it was a real pleasure :)
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2010, 19:08
Dec 23, 2010, 14:39
ocifant wrote:

Meeting you and Mrs Oci at The Viper for the Essex mini Megameet (and mini beer fes’ :-) Not to mention the Avebury Megameet in August – absolutely the best so far! Seeing some of Moss’ favourite cromlechs in Wales for the first time was definitely the megalithic highlight of the year though!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Edited Dec 23, 2010, 15:17
Dec 23, 2010, 15:08
What a good thread!

Mine were two trips to Avebury, meeting everyone at the Megameet (best yet) and a lowlight that gave me a highlight, tending to my son with a broken pelvis and ankle in Truro hospital for 10 days (he's OK now) which enabled me to visit some Cornish sites which I've never done before. Mên-an-Tol, Lanyon Quoit and Duloe. Hmmm. Missed a trick there I'm afraid.
Pages: 4 – [ 1 2 3 4 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index