40 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
thesweetcheat
thesweetcheat
6218 posts

Re: Highlight of 2010
Dec 23, 2010, 19:34
Been a bit of a year of megalithic wonder this year:

I've largely ignored the Cotswolds this year, but Belas Knap during last winter's lot of deep snow was a bit of a treat. At the start of the year I visited a few less well known sites in Herefordshire and Shropshire, and visited the Rollrights for the first time, way back in January.

We started our Offa's Dyke Path odyssey, I think it'll be a long time before we reach the southern shore though.

We managed to get to St Marys and Tresco on the Isles of Scilly in the Summer, as well as all the usual Penwith circles and some other stuff, including a few firsts like Drift and the Blind Fiddler.

Our Scotland trip took in Clava, a huge wow of a site, which we had to ourselves. From a wider landscape point of view, Scotland's Highlands blew me away and we will go back when we can.

The biggest area of mind-blowing wonder though was the uplands and mountains of south Wales. From a snowy Blorenge and a hail-blasted Fan Gyhirych in the Spring, through Summer treks up most of the Black Mountains and Brecon Beacons in various weathers there have been so many highlights. Cerrig Duon and Maen Mawr was a particularly great "first" and directly inspired a heartfelt re-connection with stone circles that took me to Dartmoor (four times in the Summer) and Avebury, as well as very long overdue revisits to Stanton Moor/Nine Stones Close/Doll Tor and to Four Stones.

Autumn took us back to Penwith and watching the sunset over a deserted Nine Maidens of Boskednan was probably the biggest highlight of the lot.

Have a great Christmas Carl (and everyone else)!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index