The Rotherwas serpent

Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 05, 2007, 14:42
More info here
http://anthropology.net/2007/07/04/rotherwas-ribbon-a-bronze-age-site-unique-in-europe/

and a video here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6270000/newsid_6270000/6270012.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm

Viewing by appointment this Saturday, before its encased and then built over.
"If discovered earlier" the road could have been diverted, but now....
(Shades of Tara).
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Re: The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 05, 2007, 15:14
nigelswift wrote:
Viewing by appointment this Saturday

Who do I ring for an appointment?
We were planning on having a cotswolds barrow day on Saturday, hereford isn't _that_ much further :-)
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 15:24
Herefordshire Council.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 15:34
In fact, they're fully booked but will take names for a second open day they're hoping to arrange during next week.
Rhiannon
5291 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 15:43
"one of the most important archaeological finds since Stonehenge. " but they can encase it and stick a road over it. Great.
I wish I could see the video. I #d like to know how they know it's a snake and not something else wavy and long.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 15:54
Well, the video is cranky and unclear but apparently its pretty long, wavy from side to side AND up and down so its very strange.

Two moans:

It wasn't disvovered early enough - so does that mean lots of stuff isn't found early enough, on account of the level of investigation is limited? 'Spose so. Its a money thing.

So it sits there for 3,000 years. Then its found. So the great unwashed get a fleeting chance of a quick Saturday afternoon look, except they don't, but they might get a weekday if they're lucky. Then its covered up again for another few hundred years as access to an industrial estate is urgently required. And it doesn't matter how important or unique it is.

Nice.
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 16:00
Bah. I'll give them a ring and see what they say if I beg...

Cheers mate
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 16:03
Rhiannon wrote:
"one of the most important archaeological finds since Stonehenge. " but they can encase it and stick a road over it. Great.
I wish I could see the video. I #d like to know how they know it's a snake and not something else wavy and long.

A sort of linear bunt mound ?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jul 05, 2007, 17:46
Jul 05, 2007, 16:23
Googling Dinedor Hill (the serpent runs at it base) thinking it might be a sacred hill,came up with the link below - an action group to save the Rotherwas serpent. So don't give up hope yet.......

http://www.rotherwas-cul-de-sac.org.uk/

p.s. it looks a very promising hill Rhiannon bit like Kelston Hill ;)

pps; Google Dinedor Camp and a whole raft of interesting stuff comes up under this road building!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 16:41
Well, the video is cranky and unclear but apparently its pretty long, wavy from side to side AND up and down so its very strange.

Have they found the ladders to go with it yet :-) Sorry... yer gotta laugh or we'd be crying all the time.

Have changed the news entry to read The Rotherwas Serpent as that seems like the name that's going to stick. p0ds has also added this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/herefordandworcester/content/image_galleries/rotherwas_ribbon_gallery.shtml?7 that has a nice pic attached.

It wasn't disvovered early enough - so does that mean lots of stuff isn't found early enough, on account of the level of investigation is limited? 'Spose so. Its a money thing.

So it sits there for 3,000 years. Then its found. So the great unwashed get a fleeting chance of a quick Saturday afternoon look, except they don't, but they might get a weekday if they're lucky. Then its covered up again for another few hundred years as access to an industrial estate is urgently required. And it doesn't matter how important or unique it is.

Nope, doesn't matter at all to the developers and money-makers how important or unique it is. Full stop, and us great unwashed are just a bunch of pagans, scallywags and trouble makers - but you already knew that ;-)
Pages: 13 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index