The Rotherwas serpent

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
Robert Carr
84 posts

Re: The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 13, 2007, 17:42
moss wrote:
Here is some more news on the protest..........

http://www.24hourmuseum.org.uk/nwh_gfx_en/ART48998.html

Looks like they sent in the SWAT sqad (from the pic). This is getting silly. I read somewhere that they carted the 'Hereford 8' off to Worcester. What are the police (and council) playing at?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 13, 2007, 17:46
What are the police (and council) playing at?

Into the hands of the protestors, clearly.

Arresting respectable octogenarians in suits is just what the antis would dream of.

And for "aggressive trespass" which is an offence that doesn't exist!

Maybe they meant "aggravated trespass"? But that requires you to have been there trespassing, without permission, which I doubt was the case.
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 13, 2007, 18:59
Jul 13, 2007, 18:56
nigelswift wrote:

Maybe they meant "aggravated trespass"? But that requires you to have been there trespassing, without permission, which I doubt was the case.

Looked to me like some concerned citizens who turned up to peacefully lobby their local leaders. They should have been treated with courtesy and respect rather than been carted off.

I know I've been enjoying R$me on the telly recently, but I really don't want to live in it!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Council officer digs council deeper into hole
Jul 14, 2007, 20:10
Council officer sends letter to Rotherwas businesses rubbishing potential for tourism before evidence is gathered.....

Fri, Jul 13 2007 02:24 | Permalink
Michael Hainge, Director of Environment at Herefordshire Council, has taken the unusual step of writing to all Rotherwas businesses expressing the opinion that the importance of the historic Dinedor Serpent has been overplayed. Mr. Hainge appears to rubbish the idea of it being used for tourism, despite the importance originally placed on the find by the County Archaeologist Dr. Keith Ray.

"Comparison of the Rotherwas Ribbon with Stonehenge was meant in very narrow terms and is, in hindsight, somewhat unfortunate. The Ribbon has not even a fraction of the intrinsic interest enjoyed by Stonehenge nor the visual impact", said Mr. Hainge.

"Claims made by people outside of the Council ... that this could be exploited for tourism is, at the very least, extremely optimistic and at worst simply wrong."

Former Liberal Democrat Mayor of Hereford, Cllr. Marcelle Lloyd-Hayes, said: "This begs several questions. Firstly, surely an impartial officer, and one without archeological expertise, should not be expressing opinions in this way and at taxpayers expense? Secondly, why do local businesses need to know his opinions at this stage? Thirdly, what right does a council officer have to rubbish the tourism potential before it is properly assessed and full council has debated it?"

"There has been no independent assessment at this stage but council officers are already jumping to conclusions. We are calling for the Council to pause, take stock, and investigate the potential for tourism properly before committing to concrete the find, a step which cannot be reversed."

"Anyone who has seen the Ohio Serpent knows that there is potential for the Dinedor Serpent, but this needs investigation. Sites all around Salisbury mark out the shapes of ancient monuments even if they are underground, and imaginative reconstructions are fantastic ways of enthusing our young people about the past", said Cllr. Lloyd-Hayes.

She concluded: "I am concerned that English Heritage are not put under undue pressure to simply back the council. We need a genuinely independent assessment."

Local residents staged a protest yesterday demanding that the council cabinet guarantee full consultation with the public and a debate between all councillors before the Serpent disappears beneath the road. When this guarantee was not forthcoming, several protesters staged a sit in. Eight were then arrested and it is now understood that three have been charged with aggravated trespass, including two elderly countryside campaigners. The case will be held later this month.

http://www.rotherwasribbon.com/
tiompan
tiompan
5758 posts

Jul 14, 2007, 20:17
If anyone is visiting over the week end and happen to have a gps with them could they please send in the grid ref .
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 15, 2007, 11:22
Bridges - not many people know that
Jul 15, 2007, 10:16
The official response to the sad Rotherwas Affair by Hereford Archaeology published on 10th July 2007 starts off making all the right noises with liberal use of words such as important, unique and further exploration. No doubt these are the thoughts of County Archaeologist, Dr Keith Ray MBE.

About half way though it appears to have been hijacked by the spin doctors at the Herefordshire Council press office with talk of erosion (fix this please) and difficult decisions during a major and economically important infrastructure project.

One little gem:

A Herefordshire Council expert wrote:
(Building a bridge) ... could have very detrimental 'side effects' - as anyone who has ever built a bridge - or seen one being built - will understand.

I had cause to ponder this revelation on my walk this morning down to the village to get the Sunday papers (Telegraph) (and Mail this week) as I had to traverse two of these problematic structures. On considered reflection I conclude that in fact bridges are quite useful with only minor 'side effects'. After all I was certainly not going to wade thigh deep through two streams - not even for the new Prince CD!
tomwatts
376 posts

Re: EH Inspectors visit The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 15, 2007, 10:49
Why does it have to be covered up?

The surface is very fragile. Even its exposure within the road corridor over the past three weeks or so has led to some surface erosion. Even if it were not in the midst of a road building programme, unless it was possible to begin building a protective structure over it ‘tomorrow’, it would have to be covered over to protect it. Even with a project to create a full building over it, the nature of the structure would/will present huge problems for conservation and future management if open to display.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How did it manage to survive 4000 years, and be so delicate that even exposure to the elements for three weeks is damaging it?
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: EH Inspectors visit The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 15, 2007, 11:02
It is fragile and does need covering. Rivulets of rainwater are starting to wash it away. I think it would be a tactical error to deny that, since if it was a straight choice between leave it exposed and cover it with a road then the latter would definitely be best and the nasties would love that. Indeed, they're seeking to present it as that.

But of course, there are other options - exposing parts of it under protective glass and placing markers to show the route of the rest of it for instance. I think the conservation lobby should be explaining the benefits of those sorts of options to the public so that they thoroughly understand that the official line that "building the road over it will save it" is shown for the agenda-based baloney it really is every time its uttered.
Robert Carr
84 posts

Edited Jul 15, 2007, 18:09
Dr Keith Ray now on YouTube
Jul 15, 2007, 18:02
The first video on Rotherwas is now up on YouTube, admittedly a re-hash of the original BBC 'new Stonehenge' report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff88eXVQJaM

Dr Keith Ray, Herefordshire County Archaeologist, features heavily looking at times decidedly uncomfortable. The main message seems to be "well, er, basically... sorry".

C'mon Dr Keith, do the right thing. Please ask Herefordshire Council to suspend the road until you have finished your thorough investigations. Step up and be the man who gave the Rotherwas Ribbon to the world rather than the bloke who buried it!
moss
moss
2897 posts

Jul 18, 2007, 13:33
There's going to be a public meeting later this month....

http://www.24dash.com/news/2/24563/index.htm
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 16 7 8 9 10 11 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index