Rotherwas Ribbon »
The Rotherwas serpent

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
TMA Ed
615 posts

Re: Position of serpent
Jul 29, 2007, 14:39
Thank you Moz. I have added the Serpent as a site on TMA and hope that the co-ordinates I've given it are accurate. If people have photographs or notes from being on-site, perhaps they will like to add them.
Thanks
TMA Ed.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: Position of serpent
Jul 29, 2007, 16:23
Thanks Ed. I've added a few images. Those were taken before the site was flooded so if anyone gets the chance to replicate them post-flood it will be interesting to compare.

The lead name being pushed by the Council is the Rotherwas Ribbon (on the grounds its less spectacular and likely to create interest perchance?) and the protestors seem to be using that now. Previous, secondary names were the Rotherwas Serpent (or Snake) and the Dinedor Serpent
How or whether you act on the above information will depend on your attitude to the political issues I guess. ;)
moss
moss
2897 posts

Edited Jul 30, 2007, 04:04
Re: The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 30, 2007, 03:47
An update on the council meeting last Friday which seems to have some good news in its content......

It was confirmed that "no irreversible action will be taken for several weeks". and that the exposed part of the Serpent will be be covered with sand and geoflex membrane.
Small snippets below, but the full report on the meeting can be read here;

http://www.wyed.co.uk/ribbon/index.php

1.. "The Council resolves to ensure that no irreversible action be taken that would prejudice the preservation or the potential for access, if appropriate, to what as currently advised is a site of archaeological importance.

2.. That Council notes that work on the construction of the Rotherwas Relief Road in that area is currently suspended (NB some works are being undertaken to protect the site) and that Cabinet be asked to address the issue of the appropriate approach to completion of the Rotherwas Relief Road in the context of the advice to be received from English Heritage as to the best method of preserving the archaeological remains"....
nigelswift
8112 posts

Hereford Council's pants go up in flames
Aug 01, 2007, 12:47
http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/25365.htm

“From the start the council has been open and transparent about the Rotherwas Ribbon find "

That's just not true.

"Although recent floods and bad weather caused erosion to surrounding areas, the passage of water across the Ribbon itself was safely channelled through existing land drains over the cracked stone pathway."

I've been. That's a bare faced lie.

What can you do? Nothing.
tomwatts
376 posts

Re: The Rotherwas serpent
Aug 01, 2007, 15:31
Is there anybody with an artistic head, who can give us an approximation of what the ribbon could look like? I can't get a picture of it from the photo's I've seen.
Robert Carr
84 posts

Re: Hereford Council's pants go up in flames
Aug 01, 2007, 18:43
nigelswift wrote:
I've been.

Yes nice pics thanks Nigel. Any further thoughts or theories on the site itself as you saw it would be appreciated.

Do you think that it can be or is worth restoring above ground?

The Rotherwas campaigners have put together an idea for a heritage park/trail focussed on the Ribbon. What do you reckon having seen the site and landscape?

nigelswift wrote:
What can you do? Nothing.

Don't give up mate. Keep smiling and spread the word positively. I know it's hard smiling through clenched teeth but it does work in the end.
baza
baza
1308 posts

Let me help save ribbon says farmer
Aug 02, 2007, 09:59
http://www.herefordtimes.com/news/herefordnewslatest/display.var.1590169.0.let_me_help_save_ribbon_says_farmer.php

"The work to cover the ribbon begins soon....."
Pilgrim
Pilgrim
597 posts

Two-week project to safeguard Rotherwas Ribbon
Aug 08, 2007, 02:33
Herefordshire Council is implementing its plans to preserve the Rotherwas Ribbon archaeological find and protect it for future generations.

A full council meeting confirmed that work on the Rotherwas Relief Road had been stopped around the site since the discovery in April of the Bronze Age ribbon of fire-cracked stones.

The council also determined that no irreversible action be taken that could prejudice its preservation for future generations.

http://www.24dash.com/localgovernment/25365.htm

Peace

Pilgrim

X
baza
baza
1308 posts

Greens defend Rotherwas Ribbon
Aug 10, 2007, 15:37
Green Party Principal Speaker Dr. Derek Wall said:

"The Rotherwas Ribbon is of great historical importance. It is vital that discoveries like these are protected from more road building.

"English Heritage inspectors have said that the best thing is for the remains to be preserved in-situ. They are currently considering whether the site meets the criteria for 'scheduling' - this status is given to monuments whose preservation is given priority over other land uses.

"Though this wouldn't preclude the relief road being built, it would send a message to Hereford council of the importance of these ancient remains.

"A petition calling for a full public inquiry to decide the future of the Rotherwas Ribbon can be signed on the Downing St website. I urge people who care about our archaeological heritage to add their names."

More here:

http://www.greenparty.org.uk/news/3112
nigelswift
8112 posts

EH to let the road go ahead
Aug 31, 2007, 07:23
http://www.herefordtimes.com/mostpopular.var.1653857.mostviewed.heritage_will_not_halt_new_road.php

If anyone can explain how the decision is consistent with the criteria for scheduling or protecting as laid out as their duty in the Act then a small prize is available...

I suppose there's as much chance of THEM explaining it as there is for them explaining the statutory justification for their support for the Stonehenge scheme and the Silbury capsule.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 18 9 10 11 12 13 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index