The Rotherwas serpent

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
nigelswift
8112 posts

Re: The Rotherwas serpent
Jul 05, 2007, 18:26
Oh crumbs, what about this:

"Herefordshire Green Councillor Gerald Dawe, whose constituency includes the now world-famous 'Rotherwas Ribbon', found through excavations for what is known locally as the "Rotherwas cul-de-sac", is appalled that the first he knew of this historic find was on Radio 4 yesterday.

He has asked Council officials if English Heritage knew and when, how long the importance of the site has been known, which councillors did know about it and when, and who has made the decision to concrete over the find and keep this decision secret from both public and elected representatives."
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 05, 2007, 22:01
nigelswift wrote:
Oh crumbs, what about this:

"Herefordshire Green Councillor Gerald Dawe, whose constituency includes the now world-famous 'Rotherwas Ribbon', found through excavations for what is known locally as the "Rotherwas cul-de-sac", is appalled that the first he knew of this historic find was on Radio 4 yesterday.

He has asked Council officials if English Heritage knew and when, how long the importance of the site has been known, which councillors did know about it and when, and who has made the decision to concrete over the find and keep this decision secret from both public and elected representatives."

Wonderful news!
nigelswift
8112 posts

Excuse me, EH...
Jul 06, 2007, 06:32
As I understand it, EH have been fully aware of this monument for some time. Ergo, we can assume they’ve decided not to schedule it (since if they had the road couldn’t still be being built).

Scheduling is for monuments of national importance.
“Decisions on national importance are guided by criteria laid down by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, covering the basic characteristics of monuments. They are:
• extent of survival
• current condition
• rarity
• representivity, either through diversity or because of one important attribute
• importance of the period to which the monument dates
• fragility
• connection to other monuments, or group value
• potential to contribute to our information, understanding and appreciation
• extent of documentation enhancing the monument's significance

HOWEVER, in EH’s words – “Even nationally important sites are scheduled only if this is the best means of protecting them. Sometimes, for example in town and city centres, the best way to protect sites - from building development and road schemes - is to use the system of local authority control over planning applications. The planners can make sure that development proposals take archaeology fully into account”

So it looks like the alternative has been chosen by EH. So how did they decide?

I dunno, but it doesn’t seem to fit with something else they say – There is “a compelling need to ensure that the amenity value and the setting of monuments are safeguarded - particularly by robust policies and appropriate decision-making within the context of the planning process”.

So, will burying it under a road safeguard its amenity value and setting? Or would scheduling it so that no road was allowed over it do that better? Is there a case for arguing here?
moss
moss
2897 posts

Re: Excuse me, EH...
Jul 06, 2007, 07:17
Is there a case for arguing here?

Of course there is ;) might be simpler to go and lie in front of the bulldozers though. Seriously it looks like an exciting unique site is to be buried surreptitiously without any notice of its relationship within a settled prehistoric landscape.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 07:39
Seriously it looks like an exciting unique site is to be buried surreptitiously without any notice of its relationship within a settled prehistoric landscape.

Well I wouldn't like to cast such nasturtiums in EH's direction as I presume they have a rational line of reasoning for their decision, right or wrong, but I do think the fact local people in Hereford including the Green Party councillors and the campaigners against the road have only just found out about the monument is rum, to say the least.

Anyway, the good thing is that the campaigners there seem to be very strong and very on the ball so this isn't going to be a case of a few HA and TMA grumbles in the midst of apathy and silence elsewhere. What happens next is going to be fascinating - especially as work on covering the monument is scheduled for "early in July"!!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 08:17
Scheduling is for monuments of national importance.
“Decisions on national importance are guided by criteria laid down by the Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport, covering the basic characteristics of monuments. They are:
• extent of survival
• current condition
• rarity
• representivity, either through diversity or because of one important attribute
• importance of the period to which the monument dates
• fragility
• connection to other monuments, or group value
• potential to contribute to our information, understanding and appreciation
• extent of documentation enhancing the monument's significance...

With the possible exception of points 7 and 9 it seems to me that all the other points apply - certainly number 3 rarity!

Dunno who wrote the criteria but it seems to have been scribbled down on a napkin over breakfast - "importance of the period to which the monument dates" What the hell does that mean? Is one period in our history somehow more important than another?
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 09:48
Have given my name and number to some bod at the general enquiries number.

Apparently the protests have already started so A & I are thinking of heading up there on Saturday to add a bit of gravitas to the situation and boost the numbers.
nigelswift
8112 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 10:01
I'm used to visiting building sites. I wonder if a hard hat, a clip board and a HA badge might get me through the gate?!
juamei
juamei
2013 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 10:10
lol perhaps with a handy diversion on the other side of the site...
slumpystones
769 posts

Jul 06, 2007, 10:28
I have a sneaky suspicion that no work will be done this month.

The Pirates at EH didn't manage to bury their treasure this time, but it makes me wonder how many times this kind of thing has happened in the past.
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index