slumpystones
769 posts

Re: Megameet
Feb 28, 2007, 18:54
ocifant wrote:
Criteria:

Meeting Space
Stones
Watering/feeding hole (indoor for inclement weather!)
Parking

Obviously Avebury meets all those. Rollrights meets all but the food/water. Dartmoor? Stonehenge??

Any other good candidates?

Coldrum!

Okay, a 20-minute walk to the Plough, but there are these 2 Staffies, and they swing on this tyre in their garden and they're great fun and...okay, maybe not.

Addington? I could get my parents to go away for the weekend, we could get a band in, and trash the house before they get back...
moss
moss
2897 posts

Feb 28, 2007, 19:20
Vicster wrote:
[quote="moss"]I fear I may be on the verge of losing control... ;o)

Bugger, I didn't mean to nix your plans with my innocent "North anyone?" query. You stick to what you've planned and I'll just get on with enjoying myself up here ;-)

I would'nt worry, this thread will probably reach a mile into virtual space before any one makes up their mind on a place ;) its just that Goff needs some prodding in the right direction....
dee
1955 posts

Feb 28, 2007, 20:19
Avebury, Stonehenge...anywhere!! It would be nice to meet you lot, Ive only ever met Goffik!!!!
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 28, 2007, 20:37
This is true, and I've been working for some time now on why it should be so :-)

Reasonable walking distance from megsite to pub (for shelter, sustenance and conveniences) is probably important. I'll chuck in Alton Priors as a suggestion - places by the church for a picnic (and a spring to suss out as well goff ;-) but few places to park. Alton Priors is within a 15-20 minute walk from the Barge Inn on the canal at Honey Street (which has live music some weekends and camping facilities to boot) so the Barge itself might be a venue worth considering.
hamish
hamish
179 posts

Feb 28, 2007, 22:19
Littlestone wrote:
...or theres plenty of space at Stonehenge

Does Berwick St James have a pub ;-)

Nice little Pub called the Boot Inn, it's called this because part of the building was once the village cobblers.
Littlestone
Littlestone
5386 posts

Feb 28, 2007, 22:46
You're getting spoilt for choice here goff :-)
Moth
Moth
5236 posts

Mar 01, 2007, 00:23
Well, if we were trying to get somewhere for north AND south, somewhere around there/Stanton Moor'd be good....

love

Moth
slumpystones
769 posts

Mar 01, 2007, 00:35
Moth wrote:
Well, if we were trying to get somewhere for north AND south, somewhere around there/Stanton Moor'd be good....

love

Moth

The photos and comments about The Stride cannot do it justice - I read as much as I could and looked at loads of pictures trying to get an idea but when you see it...wow! And so much within walking distance the longest part is taken up deciding where to go!

And that's just the pubs...
Jane
Jane
3024 posts

Mar 01, 2007, 10:16
ocifant wrote:
Criteria:

Meeting Space
Stones
Watering/feeding hole (indoor for inclement weather!)
Parking

.... Rollrights meets all but the food/water....

Au contraire...The Red Lion just down the hill in Long Compton has plenty of watering/feeding/parking...
GordonP
474 posts

Mar 01, 2007, 10:35
How about New York State in August for the Mega-Conference 07?

This is being organized by Rob Roy www.bigstones.com and will comprise a 5 day Conference and workshop, the aim of which is to learn by discussion and actual experiments how our Neolithic ancestors were able to man-handle the massive megaliths found all over Northern Europe and elsewhere.

Speakers will include, among others, Czech engineer Pavel Pavel (who worked with Thor Hyderthal on Easter Island), Rob Roy, Ivan McBeth www.ivanmcbeth.com, Doug Kerr, and myself www.stonehengetheanswer.com

During the workshop we will be conducting several actual experiments with real stones.

Accomodation is being provided by Plattsburg State Uni at $265 per person including food.
Contact [email protected]

Details of the conference and workshop can be found at www.bigstones.con click on workshops.
Pages: 23 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ] Add a reply to this topic

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index