STONE FX

50 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
FourWinds
FourWinds
10943 posts

Re: STONE FX
Feb 12, 2002, 11:06
Ireland is very well known for the use of quartz (or The Sun Stone in translation from the Gaelic). The most famous use, of course, is at Newgrange where the whole frontage is covered with the stone, but this fame only comes through its hideous incarnation as a commercial tourist trap.

What many people do not see however (even the learned experts) is it's use in other places. Many passage tombs here seemed to have used quartz as a facia and personally I imagine it was only for visual effect and extracting the 'majick' from them.

Stone circles such as Athgreany (Place of The Sun in translation) have a ring of quartz rocks around the base of each stone. Castleruddery stone circle has two 4m x 2m x 2m quartz boulders. Glencullen standing stone is an 11m megalith that is a solid piece of quartz some 1.2m square in plan ... It must be the largest piece of quartz anywhere (9m of it are buried into the ground).

The passage tombs of Dowth, Knockroe and Seefin are prime examples of quartz faced tombs. I seem to be the only to think that Seefin was actually totally covered in a layer of quartz, but I'm fairly certain that I'm right.

Quartz has a very special place in Ireland (and my soul) and I could rattle on for ever about its usage.

I have never come across any studies regarding the electrical usage possibilities. This does not mean that it's a crap thought, NEVER underestimate the knowledge and ability of the ancients, it may be worth looking into.

Perhaps I said it myself above ... 'extracting the majick'. Perhaps they felt the massive concentration of tiny electrical currents. Perhaps They KNEW!

MMMMmmmm ... quartz!
Ride On!!
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index