Head To Head
Register
The Modern Antiquarian Forum »
Lets Blow this Dowsing Lark off Finally!

162 messages
Topic View: Flat | Threaded
jacksprat
jacksprat
284 posts

Re:you want proof?
Apr 05, 2006, 15:06
Hello Kev - pleasure, I knew it was local to you so thought it would be worth a look. It's a great secret as no one seems to pay it much attention, even locally.

Personally I think the earthworks were built upon something much older - whether that was a henge or a stone circle I don't know but the landscape is signature to that of the Rollrights; on a plateaued ridge of a valley. Plus the remains of barrows 1500 years before the fort was built indicate the area was frequented, if not inhabited, earlier than the ironage period.

Also the earthworks were fortified with stone. There's no quarry nearby, maybe they broke up whatever was there before. This, of course, is utter conjecture - a romance of mine! I don't suppose there's anyway of proving an earlier site - I just like the idea! .

It's interesting that you pick up such strong signals there though. I often run around there, or walk my mum's dog - it's a very peaceful place and good to chill out there. And the view across the valley to Charlton is beautiful. It's a nice part of the world we live in.
Topic Outline:

The Modern Antiquarian Forum Index